Seeding my Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

south0085

Reaction score
Thank you in advance. I live in Kentucky. This year will be my first time having cattle. I am going to buy two calves and raise them up and sell them this fall. They will be in my side lot.

I said all that to say this: I have an 8 acre pasture that will NOT be used this year. I have to spend this year fixing the fences and cleaning it all out, etc. I've been getting some mixed information about how to seed/lime/fertilize my pasture. Here's what I've come up with. Please tell me where I'm wrong and why. Please keep in mind I'm in Kentucky. Also note: next year, this pasture will be used for grazing, not hay.

1. I need to seed 31 Fescue grass.
2. Since the pasture already has grass, I need to seed about 30 lb per acre. (I will probably do more).
3. The best time to LIME is October. It takes about 4 months to see results from lime, so if you spread it in October, then it starts kicking in around February/March when stuff starts to grow a little. (But does it hurt to lime now at the same time as I seed?)
4. When I sew the grass, no fertilizer is needed. Maybe a couple of months later once it has had time to germinate. But none is needed right away.
5. The best time for me to sew is right now (End February or Beg of March).

Thank you!

south0085":6z9do8pg said:
Thank you in advance. I live in Kentucky. This year will be my first time having cattle. I am going to buy two calves and raise them up and sell them this fall. They will be in my side lot.

I said all that to say this: I have an 8 acre pasture that will NOT be used this year. I have to spend this year fixing the fences and cleaning it all out, etc. I've been getting some mixed information about how to seed/lime/fertilize my pasture. Here's what I've come up with. Please tell me where I'm wrong and why. Please keep in mind I'm in Kentucky. Also note: next year, this pasture will be used for grazing, not hay.

1. I need to seed 31 Fescue grass.
2. Since the pasture already has grass, I need to seed about 30 lb per acre. (I will probably do more).
3. The best time to LIME is October. It takes about 4 months to see results from lime, so if you spread it in October, then it starts kicking in around February/March when stuff starts to grow a little. (But does it hurt to lime now at the same time as I seed?)
4. When I sew the grass, no fertilizer is needed. Maybe a couple of months later once it has had time to germinate. But none is needed right away.
5. The best time for me to sew is right now (End February or Beg of March).

Thank you!
1. I would plant MaxQ if I could afford it, otherwise I would use KY31 and red clover.
2. Depends on the stand. If it's pretty much bare 30 pounds would be about right. If it's around covered, 1/2 10-15 pounds, 2/3-3/4 more like 5-8 lbs per acre.
3. You can lime now and it will just put you that much ahead for next year. If you do it now, lime before you seed.
4. Correct
5. Correct
The seeding rates are based on no-till drill, if broadcast it would probably need to be doubled. If KY31, use half as much clover to the acre as fescue.

Thank you for the good info, Dun. I almost forgot about the Clover.

One question:

You said to lime before I seed. Does that mean like a week before, or a month before?

south0085":1vnqp4n5 said:
Thank you for the good info, Dun. I almost forgot about the Clover.

One question:

You said to lime before I seed. Does that mean like a week before, or a month before?
A day before is fine. You aren;t waiting on it other then the affect that driving that heavy dam lime truck will have on the soil or maybe the seed that have started to germinate. If you don;t do it before, wait a couple of months so the newly sprouted grass has enough strength to withstand the driving on it.

My Dad mentioned spreading the seed (broadcasting) and then going over the pasture with a disc.

Is that a feasible option? Or not a good idea? Won't the disc completely tear up all the ground? Or is that a plow that I'm thinking of?

Thank you.

If it isn;t bare dirt, you would be better off just dragging something over it like a piece of chain link fence. If you are going to disk it you need to set the disks straight instead of at any angle. I will still drag a chunk of fence over it behind the disk

Latest posts