seeder box on a disc?

Help Support CattleToday:

Have no idea what you saw. Every "seeder box" I've ever seen has something turning inside to meter the seed out or something turning outside, like a drill, to meter the seed out. Even broadcast hoppers have to have a "slinger" turning to spread the seed. So, the question is what and how is something attached to the disk that turns the seeder?

I had a neighbor who seeded Barley with a spinner spreader on the 3 pt hitch, and a disc on the drawbar. It worked good for him. I would like to try it, but I'm afraid the disc would put too much cover on grass seed.

Used to be a common thing here. Seed box is chain driven off the rear gang of disc. the rounded end disc has an axle thru it.weld a bolt head to the axle head.Put the sprocket on the bolt drill into sprocket on crack between bolt and side of hole in sprocket,thread. makes a kinda key way. Seed box is set to same angle as back disc gang.
when using it set disc to cut shallow. I used a Ford 6 foot off set with a seed box for several years.

I got real bright one year and put a 3 point slinger on front of tractor and used a hydraulic motor to run it. Pulled disc behind,could slow slinger down to throw same width as disc.only problem was if wind was blowing seed pattern moved over but disc didnt.

lavacarancher":1cm8dfs9 said:
Have no idea what you saw. Every "seeder box" I've ever seen has something turning inside to meter the seed out or something turning outside, like a drill, to meter the seed out. Even broadcast hoppers have to have a "slinger" turning to spread the seed. So, the question is what and how is something attached to the disk that turns the seeder?

I did not get to see the complete rig up as I was flying down the FM road going to pick up some equipment. WIll be going by on my next trip up there see if I can learn more and look the unit over, It did appear he was dropping seed.
On hooking up the drive to turn, my initial idea was to use a low RPM,Hi torq u 12 volt unit.
Bale flipper seems to have good advice, any pics available?

You could run the seedbo from a trailing arm and chain drive from the box. The wheel running just wide of the disc, this way the wheel can be the same size as the original on the seedbox so keep the settings the same. Ideally the wheel needs tread so as to eliminate slip.

Latest posts