Sealing stock tank?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
I have an old round galvanized stock tank, roughly 200gal. Its alittle rusted and started leaking at the seam on side. Ive never used Flex Seal, figured it a cheesy tv gimmick. But wondered if anyone else has? I could clean it up with wire brush on grinder. Flex seal be alot easier.

I have an old round galvanized stock tank, roughly 200gal. Its alittle rusted and started leaking at the seam on side. Ive never used Flex Seal, figured it a cheesy tv gimmick. But wondered if anyone else has? I could clean it up with wire brush on grinder. Flex seal be alot easier.
It works on lighter duty stuff (I was surprised too). I have no idea how it will perform on a stock tank. Sand it down really well so that it can adhere to the metal, decide which one of the products is most suitable, then make sure to let it cure for at least 24 hours. My guess is it will work just fine.

If it does not work, start over and try some JB Weld.

I tried some of the flex seal tape on top of a John Deere tractor cab that had a crack in the fiberglass top cover. I store the tractor in the dry. Putting on the tape it is super sticky and seems to adhere good as I cleaned the fiber glass well. I noticed the next year the tape was rolling at the corners and pretty disappointed at the quality, but it does not leak yet.

On the tank I had one do the same as I cleaned and used roof tar and got a few more years out of it. Another thing is put clay mud in the bottom of the tank and it will seal it like a pond. When mine got to bad for the tar I dumped a loader bucket of clay dirt in it and got a few more years out of it.

Last edited:
I got the Through The Roof product in a qt. container. Had a metal roof with a slight slope on a commercial building and leaking. I tried several products, sealed around some of the screws as a last resort. After about four attempts of doing something after a rain I called a professional! He poured some of that product over the tar I had put around the furnace vent. It flows out like honey and doesn't take long for it to cover the area and stick.

He found water was getting past some of the tar and eventually getting inside. Stuff works!!

Use 3M 5200. It's a marine sealer made for boats. It adheres to anything better than anything I've used, it's professional grade and a tube is about $15-20 but it works wonderfully. I had a pair of chest waders that the shoulder strap tore out and I used 5200 as a glue to put it back on. Years later when they finally gave up the ghost you could not pull it apart no matter how hard you tried.

I'm with you guys that get a few more years out of it. Its in my bull pen and they get to fighting and tear anything and everything up anyway. So I hate to buy new and tear it up in 6mths. I only buy galvanized ones in case I need a tank heater(plastic melts), also the plastics tend to crack. Sun eats them. As for rusting, this tank is literally 30+years old so if it don't last ive gotten the good out of it. It was my grandpas horse tank ever since i can remember, im 36.

Ended up using some 5min epoxy i had already and then flex seal over the top of that.

I'm with you guys that get a few more years out of it. Its in my bull pen and they get to fighting and tear anything and everything up anyway. So I hate to buy new and tear it up in 6mths. I only buy galvanized ones in case I need a tank heater(plastic melts), also the plastics tend to crack. Sun eats them. As for rusting, this tank is literally 30+years old so if it don't last ive gotten the good out of it. It was my grandpas horse tank ever since i can remember, im 36.

Ended up using some 5min epoxy i had already and then flex seal over the top of that.
Did it work?

My advise is to never buy one of those galvanized water troughs. They all rust out eventually.
Same here, Dave. My water well man was here yesterday replacing a booster pump from the hellacious freeze we had here and he told me that he has been using poly water troughs and valve/float waterers for years and that they last much longer than the "galvanized" stuff on the market today.

We used some of the fibered roofing rubber on a metal roof on one of the rentals. As long as we started dry and let it cure as the instructions stated, its been holding off the rain for 2 years now.

Polyurethane roofer's caulk/adhesive sticks to everything and lasts forever. It comes in caulk gun tubes for easy application. Just bring disposable gloves and an old credit card to spread it around. Asphalt based products do not do well under water long term.

Latest posts