Tank de-icer rusts?

Help Support CattleToday:

aaronstiff

Reaction score
I've been using a couple of tank de-icers in my black plastic water tanks for almost 3 months now. They're the kind with the metal cage around the heating element so that it is safe for plastic tanks. Just a few days ago I noticed a ring of rust around where the de-icer sits on the bottom. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just me? Seems like they would be made out of something which didn't rust if they were going to be used in water...

Very interesting. The water is coming straight from a well, but I suppose it could still be a bit acidic...
We had our bore (well) water tested recently and it came back as almost pure rain water, very soft. The pH was a little down though, 6.1 (6.4-9.3 optimun). It was recommended to add hydrated lime at 50-100 gm/1000litres of water. We get a bit of blue colouring in our sinks in the house from the reaction with the copper pipes. I have noticed any metal posts etc placed in our ground water storages do rust easily.

Ken

Just picked one up yesterday here in Central Texas (75 miles West of Austin) after busting ice for a few morning with this Cold Wave. They work. In less than 3 hours yesterday all ice was gone in 600 gallon galvanized tank. Unplugged last night and this morning 3/8" ice again. Plugged up at 6am and by 9am all gone. I'm a believer and at $30 bucks I'll just buy another when it rusts out. Supposed to get down to 2 to 5 degrees the next couple mornings, way cold for us and How in the heck do you folks handle this cold stuff all winter?

How in the heck do you folks handle this cold stuff all winter?
Haha! To be honest, I'd miss it if I moved further south. 😄

My de-icers are running 24/7. Never had any problems with them until this one. And I know they work, because the water froze over when one of the cows flipped them out!

Is that 2 degrees Fahrenheit? That's really cold for Texas!

Haha! To be honest, I'd miss it if I moved further south. 😄

My de-icers are running 24/7. Never had any problems with them until this one. And I know they work, because the water froze over when one of the cows flipped them out!

Is that 2 degrees Fahrenheit? That's really cold for Texas!
Just checked and the weather cat revised up to 5. Heat wave!! Arron see Canada as your Home Base. Can't imagine the cold up yonder. They're saying this cold snap could be a record around here. Below freezing for 4 to 5 days. We're sissy's on the cold. can't say that about all Texasans, At least I am.

Last edited:
Just checked and the weather cat revised up to 5. Heat wave!! Arron see Canada as your Home Base. Can't imagine the cold up yonder. They're saying this cold snap could be a record around here. Below freezing for 4 to 5 days. We're sissy's on the cold. can't say that about all Texasans, At least I am.
Im just south of Abilene and if the forecast is correct, I'll have been below freezing for 11 days. Definitely been a struggle.

Can't imagine the cold up yonder.

Actually, it's been really mild up here until a few days ago. Hadn't dipped below -10C (14F) at all until yesterday when it went to -14C (7F). Even that's kind of average for winter here.

And we only just got our first "real" snow last week. Something like 1 and half feet in most places, 2 in some. Fun snow blowing! 😄

Latest posts