Stock Prod Recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

76 Bar

Reaction score
Very bidable cattle and RARELY have use for a hot shot. A necessary evil but in certain circumstances can be a life saver when properly used. Need to replace my old one that died. Recommendations would be appreciated especially those with a relatively short shaft (30" ish). TIA.

I usually only use one when loading a trailer. Once in a blue moon in the alley/chute. And while I'm sure it's not pleasant, many times it's much safer for you and the animals as well as being much more humane than a tpost or a limb. I don't know why sometimes they get a bad rap. I guess like anything else they sometimes get misused.

With that being said, I like the green hotshot. Red is ok. Green is better.

Thanks guys. After some research the Green was my pick as well. Looking forward to more input. On the rare occasion its handy when young inexperienced cows still learning the ropes stubbornly balk in the alley/entering the chute and a slap on the back or tail twist fails to change their mind. IMO where a hot shot can literally be a life saver is when cattle do something stupid, get wedged, think they're impossibly stuck and need to be gently reminded that its do or die. No question hot shots get a bad rap because often as not they're used by incompetents as punishment rather than a tool to be used wisely.

https://www.opensky.com/mobile/products/detail/5d2069af962352141a34a140?max_discount=1&configurationId=5d2069af962352141a34a142&osky_origin=googlepla&osky_source=cpc&osky_campaign=OpenSkySmartShopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoub3BRC6ARIsABGhnyZ17A9aaEzKEtAbp58qCpah-b3PZI1-SPqdY7bTxsGijNocEY2h308aAublEALw_wcB
If your using it in an alley way this is much better. Several brands higher and cheaper but I have one like this.

Loaded pigs for 5 years with the same Hot Shot Green prod. Had a 36" shaft on it till I broke it over a gilts head as she was flying over my sorting board. :lol:

Always had Green HS2000 hot shots. Then the rechargeable ones came out, even better. But we finally wore them out. I don't use them a lot, but we haul with three different trucks and work cattle on four different farms. So we keep several around.
It took a long time for me to convince myself to invest the money in a new Hot Shot Dura-prod. But now I have three rechargeable ones and won't ever go back. They hold a change for ever, have a larger button, and a safety lock.

Latest posts