Securing Transfer Tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
How do others secure their tanks?

The fords have tiedowns in the corner of the bed. I ran vinyl covered quarter inch cable through the metal loops in the corner of the bed. I put a cable on each loop and put a turnbuckle between them which I used to cinch in the tank. There has to be a 101 ways to do it. BTW: the bottom of the bed in the new F250 is tapered. I had to put a 2X8 under the tank to get it to set.

True Grit Farms said:
I would of thought that would of been a good job for Gripples. Is there enough room behind the tank to haul a gooseneck trailer?

There is enough room. Gripples would work.

I don't see the purpose in the new bed design. The bottom of the bed is about 5 to 6 inches narrower than from there up to the bed rails. The tank is 60 inches and the width of the bed is 58 inches at the bottom. So it will not set flat on the bottom of the bed. The 2 by 8 raises the tank enough to allow the tank to set with out hanging up. In my 2014 F250, it set right on the bed floor.

I like a piece of wood across the back of the tank. Your setup might save the tank from being punctured, especially if you brake hard with crap in the bed of the truck. And without a bed mat you need something.

that wont stay..itll always be loosening up...better from the lifting loops to the bed corners..even that isn't optimim but at least it wont bounce up and down or fly out in the even of a rollover. secure a piece of alm c channel to the floor and then the tank to it...better pita then sorry

dieselbeef said:
that wont stay..itll always be loosening up...better from the lifting loops to the bed corners..even that isn't optimim but at least it wont bounce up and down or fly out in the even of a rollover. secure a piece of alm c channel to the floor and then the tank to it...better pita then sorry

Thank you. I appreciate that. Being safe is worth the trouble. Glad I posted this. I will add on a tie to the lifting loops.

True Grit Farms said:
I would of thought that would of been a good job for Gripples. Is there enough room behind the tank to haul a gooseneck trailer?

Measured one the other day. Not sure of the exact year model but relatively new. There was enough room for an L shaped tank and a toolbox, and still enough room for the gooseneck. But only about 2" in between.

sstterry said:
JMJ Farms said:
Ron, there may be a reason you don't want to but, you can always bolt it to the bed.

You haven't seen his new truck, have you? It will be 5 years before he drills into that bed!

He could glue it down? :hide: The quicker you break em in the more you'll enjoy them! No worries Ron, after the first couple of dents it gets easier :nod:

Had a L shaped tank on the back of the old work truck for a long time. It was never secured in place and hardly moved

In this part of the world tanks must be secured with and engineered strap or cable bolted to the bed. So holes must be drilled.

Silver said:
In this part of the world tanks must be secured with and engineered strap or cable bolted to the bed. So holes must be drilled.

In effect, the cable is bolted down. The eyes in the corner of the bed that the cable is attached to are bolted to the bed. What I plan to do as diesel recommended, is run a cable from the eyes up through the lift loops. I will still keep the other cable on.

The new fords (2017 alum body) have a little hump in the front corners. I think at (least drv side) is for fuel & def fill.

My L-tank wouldnt fit, 'bout 1" too wide. I had the tank from my old truck, so I had to raise it to miss the humps.

I spent all my $$ on the truck (j/k) and wasn't about to put out the cash for a new tank/box setup when I had a tank and box on hand. But I'm cheap like that.

Then I cut my old alum toolbox down (put a new bottom on it). It was too tall to see over. Now it is manageable for GN and 5th wheel hook-up.

Philip-TX said:
The new fords (2017 alum body) have a little hump in the front corners. I think at (least drv side) is for fuel & def fill.

My L-tank wouldnt fit, 'bout 1" too wide. I had the tank from my old truck, so I had to raise it to miss the humps.

I spent all my $$ on the truck (j/k) and wasn't about to put out the cash for a new tank/box setup when I had a tank and box on hand. But I'm cheap like that.

Then I cut my old alum toolbox down (put a new bottom on it). It was too tall to see over. Now it is manageable for GN and 5th wheel hook-up.

Thanks for the pictures. That hump is also in the 2019 F250. I had to put a 2×8 under it to raise it.

I have my tank on a small utility trailer the tank is a 100 gallon tank.. The trailer has a tool box across the front. There is a 12 volt battery secured in the tool box with feed through to run the transfer pump I also keep the grease gun and grease and oil in the tool box to service what ever I am fueling up. Also I have a solar panel that I lay on top of the tool box when not being pulled to town or any where else on the farm. The bed in my pickup is only used to hold junk that I might need. The newest truck I have is a 2005 chevy 2500HD.

Latest posts