scurred and homopolled

Help Support CattleToday:

JMichal":cq9sgm6u said:
Can you "Breed Up " any breed? Please explain in a little more detail for us simple minded folk. Can you find or Import pure Angus Blood?

Breeding up is strcitly a breed association thing.The Angus association and the Herford association allow no breed other then their own pure breed in registered animals. The other breed associations allow breeding up by increasing the percentage of the specific breed over generations. Those that have no other breed in their makeup are referred to as fullbloods, those that have been bred up to a certain percentage are referred to as purebred. The Red Angus Association has the same type of deal but theyre 1A for pure Angus and 1B for those that are bred up. All animals regostered by the american angus association are pure angus (unless someone has played fast and lose with their breeding program).

dun":3r5kj1vs said:
JMichal":3r5kj1vs said:
Can you "Breed Up " any breed? Please explain in a little more detail for us simple minded folk. Can you find or Import pure Angus Blood?

Breeding up is strcitly a breed association thing.The Angus association and the Herford association allow no breed other then their own pure breed in registered animals. The other breed associations allow breeding up by increasing the percentage of the specific breed over generations. Those that have no other breed in their makeup are referred to as fullbloods, those that have been bred up to a certain percentage are referred to as purebred. The Red Angus Association has the same type of deal but theyre 1A for pure Angus and 1B for those that are bred up. All animals regostered by the american angus association are pure angus (unless someone has played fast and lose with their breeding program).

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It totally amazes me that so many people can be involved in cattle and NOT UNDERSTAND simple genetics - polled/horn gene and black/red color genes. It shows that people are multiplying cattle, not BREEDING cattle.
Pp x Pp can produce Homozygous Polled (PP), Heterozygou Polled (Pp) or Horned calves (pp).
PP x PP can ONLY PRODUCE PP calves.
PP x Pp can produce PP or Pp - all calves will be polled, but some will also CARRY the horned gene. (small p represents the horn gene)
PP x pp will have ALL Pp calves - meaning they will ALL be polled carrying a horn gene.
POLLED gene is DOMINANT - meaning it "trumps" a horn gene - meaning if they inherit a polled gene from either the dam or sire AND a horned gene - they will be POLLED, carrying a horned gene that they CAN pass on to their offspring.
Black gene is DOMINANT over the RED gene (in cattle - different in dogs). If they inherit ONE black gene, they will be BLACK. They may carry a red gene, but they will be BLACK to look at.
A RED bovine DOES NOT carry a BLACK GENE - period! You can have a black cow & a black bull that both are carrying a red gene (Br X Br) and they can produce a RED calf if both pass on the red gene - that RED offspring out of two black parents DOES NOT CARRY ANY BLACK GENES.

The scurred gene is totally seperate. Reread Knersie's post.

Maybe this should be posted on the top of the breeding page. It comes up all the time, and I am totally amazed how few understant it. Genetics can be (and is) very confusing - but this is the most simple, basic genetics possible. There are percentages involved in all the equations, but I totally left that out.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":772fpwlk said:
It totally amazes me that so many people can be involved in cattle and NOT UNDERSTAND simple genetics - polled/horn gene and black/red color genes. It shows that people are multiplying cattle, not BREEDING cattle.

Thank you, Jeanne. I've been wanting to say this for a long time but, since I don't have any cattle, have been reluctant to do so.

Along these same lines I posted a question a year or so ago asking whether diluting semen less than the normal amount could result in higher conception rates. As I recall, you and some others gave excellent answers, but a couple of others wondered why you would want to dilute it to begin with, and seemed to imply that you should never dilute semen. I didn't say anything about it at the time, but I was somewhat flabbergasted that someone in the cattle business wouldn't know that diluting semen is a common and necessary practice.

VanC":29iodwiu said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":29iodwiu said:

Thank you, Jeanne. I've been wanting to say this for a long time but, since I don't have any cattle, have been reluctant to do so.

Along these same lines I posted a question a year or so ago asking whether diluting semen less than the normal amount could result in higher conception rates. As I recall, you and some others gave excellent answers, but a couple of others wondered why you would want to dilute it to begin with, and seemed to imply that you should never dilute semen. I didn't say anything about it at the time, but I was somewhat flabbergasted that someone in the cattle business wouldn't know that diluting semen is a common and necessary practice.

Diluting semen when it's processed for freezing but I still don't see any perceived benefit from tryingto dilute it when using the thawed semen

Are they talking about spliting straws rather than diluting semen?I've taken 1 straw and bred 3 virgin heifers and had all 3 settle.

northernboy":2aqd3z29 said:
Are they talking about spliting straws rather than diluting semen?I've taken 1 straw and bred 3 virgin heifers and had all 3 settle.

I'm not that cheap. I figure if I'm paying for semen I want to have the best opportunity of getting them settled.

Boy we sure have beat this around the bush. I have read alot stuff about polled genes, and color genes. The color genes is pretty easy red to black will almost always be black. I have a few black cows that have always been bred to red bulls always had red calves. Last year they were bred to black bulls they had red calves. The polled thing sounds pretty simple on paper, but when it comes to breeding polled fullblood Limis, it dosn't always work like it is suppose to.

To anwser the question if you breed scurred to polled will you get homo polled the answer is maybe but probaly not.

Red bull, the reason I was asking this question is I am trying to get away from horns or scurs on my calves, I have Limi cows, some polled, some double polled and horned. I used one of my buddies limi bull last year and he was horned, so I know this years calves will have horns. I am going to buy my own bull this year, so I guess I will be looking for a homo polled bull, even thought about putting a Angus bull with them.

Haase
Are you using purebreds or fullbloods. It not that hard to find a homo polled purebred red or black now days. And the price at some of the sales is getting pretty reasonable. The fullbloods are a bit harder to find But they are out there. Let me no what you are looking for and i willtry to help you out.

Latest posts