Scrotal Hernia in Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

bubbacalf

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a poddy Bull calf who looks to have an Scrotal Umbilical Hernia, but I haven't been able to find any specific research/explanations/treatment options clearly outlined anywhere. Has anyone had this problem before, and what did you do? It is hard, and is body temperature, neither hot or cold.

Thanks,
Sophie

Well first I think you better work out whether the swelling is around his belly button or around his balls. There is usually a bit of distance between the two areas.
Welcome to CT, we hope we can help you out.
Ken

Picture? how old is the calf? Scrotal hernias are really uncommon in cattle. I'd rule out being a cryptorchid (only one testicle descended) if the scrotum appears uneven. I'd also rule out castration by banding if it really is the scrotum that is hard and the calf was purchased. Infection is also a possibility depending on age of the calf. If the calf actually has a scrotal hernia and the scrotum is hard... I'd worry about a strangulated hernia and the calf would probably be dead by the time you read this post.

Otherwise.... navel infections can result in an enlarged, hard swelling over the umbilical area. Sometimes navel infections and umbilical hernias are found together.

Right. So that's the navel, the scrotum is about 1-2' behind it and would be found between the hind legs in cattle if present. The calf in the picture looks older than 3 weeks and if purchased, may already have been castrated. Regardless, that picture is typical of an umbilical hernia and may or may not involve an navel infection. Cause is either genetic or acquired (e.g. trauma), my preferred treatment is surgery but other people have used a tight band of tape around the calf's middle - may work if the hernia is small enough. Yours doesn't look small.

You are sure this is a male calf? Might sound like a dumb question, but....

Yea, I am with Milkmaid on this, are you sure that is a male calf? Where does he pee, because I see no wet spot where the hernia is? Can you get a straight side shot of the calf, so we can see the head to tail view? Just curious.

Latest posts