Screw claw

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I let this get too bad. Is it worth trimming a almost 9 year old cow?

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpeg
    IMG_0658.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Yes, she will walk better and be more comfortable... cut it back some, then in a month cut it back a little more to close to where it meets the other in length... It sure can't hurt unless you try to take off too much all at once... We have 2 bought cows that obviously had foot problems and have one toe that grows 2x longer than the other one... they get trimmed at least once a year... and we cut them way back.... and they go on and raise a decent calf every year... both are getting some age and will be at the top of the cull list if they have any other issues...

Agree with @kenny thomas .... one thing, if you cut it back some, she might bring a couple pennies more if she is walking better too....

We get them in the chute, use a "lopping shears" for plants/brush/small limbs.... long handled like pruning shears... nothing fancy. If she will stand, just cut it off while it is on the ground... or use a rope and tie the leg up a bit and do it... but we do ours while standing on the ground in the chute... cut it back some then if it needs more we will put a rope around the foot/hock and raise it up some to trim it more...

We get them in the chute, use a "lopping shears" for plants/brush/small limbs.... long handled like pruning shears... nothing fancy. If she will stand, just cut it off while it is on the ground... or use a rope and tie the leg up a bit and do it... but we do ours while standing on the ground in the chute... cut it back some then if it needs more we will put a rope around the foot/hock and raise it up some to trim it more...
Can I trim too much off?

Yes, you can initially trim too much if you get it down to where it bleeds. Just like a sheep or goat hoof. That is why I do it in a couple stages. Agree with @Silver that it could be "folded under" ...and that place that will stay damp, collect manure etc, and cause hoof rot also.

Had the vet work on the hoof of a neighbors bull when he was at our place doing preg checks on our cows... Think it was only an extra $20 bucks because the bull was too big for the chute... so he gave him rompum and maybe something else... bull went down easily, trimmed it up and gave him something else and he was up and walking in 15-20 minutes. We had brought the bull to our barn to do... very quiet and gentle....

Have a 10 + yr old cow that I carried to my vet to get both back feet trimmed . Put her in the chute that rotates to make a table . $40 is what he charged me . She's headed to the sale barn in a couple of months . Raises one of the best calves in the herd .

Unless she was foundered from too much grain for some reason (like a show animal) our experience has been that it tends to be hereditary... we kept a couple heifers out of the one cow we bought with the very long, fast growing toe, and 2 of the 3 developed "long toes".... so we do not keep any out of the cows now... But they put big strapping calves on the ground and other than the toe, are not any sort of problems.... so for terminal animals it is not a big deal.
Mind you, we do not go around "trimming feet" like so many dairies do because these animals are not stuck on concrete and fed all that high protein feed... don't get strawberry warts and foot rot and such like dairy animals are prone to with the concentrated walking in manure and on the concrete. But not a big deal for an otherwise productive cow to trim her foot/toe once a year or so.
To get a vet out special you would pay the vet call and all those fees....

I would say that 75% of the long claws I have seen, on BEEF cattle, are back feet... but on dairy cows it seems to be nearly even with front and back for some reason....and in the parlor where the cows are up close on a dairy every day... it is usually easier to nip off the back ones because most parlors are either parallel or herringbone... so the back feet are close to the farmer....

Sold an otherwise nice 5/3 Simangus cow a couple weeks ago. Long toes in the back, walking on her heels. I don't give them time to go lame, they have bad feet, they gone.

Latest posts