Corkscrew claw treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

Manunitedtopgear":1cj6t373 said:
I stopped feeding her grain about 3 weeks ago and I switched from alfalfa to grass hay, if this is causing the screwed up toes how long would it take before I might notice any diffrence in her feet. Are we talking about days, weeks, months?
Months, most likely many of them before you notice a difference

Coin toss. As much as you want to keep her, I would get her feet trimmed so that they are close to right then play it by ear

You said that laminitis may perhaps be the problem so I am assuming I should just wait it out to see if this is causing it or if she really has cc claw. I am going to take her to the vets next week to get her hooves clipped and then I will give her some time and see what happens.

From what I have seen and researched "Crockscrew Claw" is genetic and doesn't normally show until around two years of age. Also, its normally the inside fronts and outside rears that turn in. It tends to be the most prominent in Angus and Gelbvieh cattle. I had a Gelbvieh bull with it years ago it showed up right as he turned two years old. I'm thinking this may be a feed related problem but without knowing how much feed she been getting I'm just guessing. For her age, I'd be thinking about putting her in a portable aluminum/steel box and make a stop at the nearest sale barn. Good luck. B&G

Just wanted to update everyone, vet said that it doesn't look like cc claw to him, he said it may have been caused by the laminits. He said to wait it out and see what happens

Just wanted to update everyone on my heifers situation. I took her to the vets this week to get her hooves clipped and he says her feet look a lot better then they were. He thinks that the laminitis was messing with the conformation of her feet. He said the conformation of her feet is much much better. Just thought I would let you guys and gals know what he said.

thanks for the update. maybe snap a pic this fall and post it back here? This is good learning for us newbies! Hope they continue to improve.

Latest posts