Scours - preferred treatment?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
We haven;t had a case of scours in something like 10 years and the stuff (Septra DS) that we used to use isn;t available anymore.
So, in a 2 month old calf with what looks kind of like milk scours, what would you use.
I'm too lazy/confused to look back at the 10 thousand posts that have scours in them to find an answer

Thanks

And which of the packaged electrolite/treatments works best. Resolve, Resorb, etc.?

This aint much help but normally I am either limited to what I have on hand or else limited to what's available at the local supply store.

Go to the store looking to replentish what you used out of the box and find out they are sold out. You forget to look next time. When you finally remember, you buy something after reading label after label.

Frustrating.

I use smz7 (pill form) and revitilyte for an oral electrolytes. I have had better success with the jersey breed useing resorb though. dont ask me why. i dont know.

Beckett

We can get some real calf killer blizzards here this time of year so I end up confining my calves more than I'd like to. I'd normally get scours late in the calving season when the scour guard k/c isn't affective anymore. I always forgot to give the cows another shot before it would wear off. This year I switched to Scour bos and have had good luck so far.

Last year I had a real bout with scours and I'd give them Nuflor, Fastrack bolus (I love this stuff) http://www.conklin.com ,and sometimes I'd go ahead and give them about 30 cc of C&D antitoxin. That really plugs them up, it's like liquid cork. :D . Another thing I started using late last calving season is liquid Spectam Scour-Halt. This is an oral solution for pig scours. I'd just put three squirts in their mouth and it seemed to work good. I wonder if this is the same stuff as the Spectra DS you mentioned? I bought some Sav-A-Caf scour & Pneumonia treatment that sounds like good stuff but haven't needed it so far. Knock on wood!!!

Regarding electrolyes, I have had good results using Re-Sorb. In a pinch I have used Pedialyte (from grocery store). I will also add a bit of plain or vanilla flavored yogurt (with live active cultures) about 2 to 3 Tbsp.

Its been awhile since I've dealt with any scours. Usually its in a calf I have brought home from work, and colostrum intake is unknown. In those cases, I have mostly used Terramycin using the recommended dosage on the label and it clears it up within a couple/few days. For these cases I always give them yogurt as well. (costs less than the probiotic pastes).

Good luck with your calf dun.

Katherine

There are a lot of scour treatments and some can be bought over the counter, my first choice would be 10ml Scour Halt and 2 SMZ pills twice daily along with a shot of either Excenel or Baytril and Banamine. If you can't get SMZ pills, Vetisulid can be bought OTC and works well.

As far as electrolyte solution, any name brand, Deliver or something like that, the water is the important thing.

Larry

Our scour treatment of choice is:
Trivetrin or trimidox (sulfa daily injectable) +
Calf span boluses (Sulfa based, works for 3 days) +
Predef or flunazine for anti inflam and reduction in fever +
Electrolytes, I like the H.E, of any type of electrolytes. H.E. = High energy

rockridgecattle":2sw7wwkh said:
Our scour treatment of choice is:
Trivetrin or trimidox (sulfa daily injectable) +
Calf span boluses (Sulfa based, works for 3 days) +
Predef or flunazine for anti inflam and reduction in fever +
Electrolytes, I like the H.E, of any type of electrolytes. H.E. = High energy

Sounds like we have the same plan RR. That is exactly what I do . Thank goodness no scours yet this year. I am going to try Metacam the next time I have a sick calf as the anti inflammatory.

W F I add a few table spoons of yogurt to one of the feedings a day as well, that way they get probios.

Dun you may want to give them a shot of B12 as well.

2 month old calf with milk scours? Wouldn't do anything unless the calf looks weak/dehydrated/down, otherwise calfie should be fine with a bit of benign neglect.

At two months I'd be thinking coccidiosis too - but it doesn't look like milk scours.
http://www.spaquaculture.com/default.aspx?pageid=546 (tribrissen, about the only antibiotic that works on coccidiosis) or http://www.baycox.com/ (baycox, much prefer this as it's a single, oral dose and calves recover quickly).

For electrolytes I mix my own - I like to use them at the first hint of a problem and can't buy them in large enough quantities or cheap enough as a commercial preparation. I've tried observing if there is a difference in recovery between the commercial and home-mix, and haven't been able to pick a difference.
I've gone away from using antibiotics for calf scours - couldn't really say why, we used to do it just not as common now. Yoghurt is great as recovery aid and preventative though.

The latest
100ML lactated ringers SubQ, a bag of Entrolyte HE, Banamine and Nuflor based on size.
The 2 month old is at leats up and wabbling around but weak and isn;t eating but the squirting has stopped. When we were treating him I noticed a week old calf acting puny. Treated him the same as the big calf, he had just started scouring. The week old squirted the elctrolytes out and as laying in a ball and not moving at all.
As soon as I get the elctrolytes here we'll be doing it again excpet for the lactated ringers (unless they're needed)
The consensus is probaly e coli. The other calves that were in the sme pasture looked to have had maybe a touch of white squirts but it's dried and they're running and bouncing this morning.
It's been so long since we've had any issues at all that it really gets to me with this mess. The last health issue we had was the coe that got the tumors last year and a broken leg in a weaned heifer a couple of years before that.

If you're giving fluids SQ or IV, go ahead and give the calf the entire 1000mL bag of fluids. 100mL isn't enough; were you to set up an average dehydrated down calf on an IV it'd take some 6000mLs before the calf was rehydrated and standing.

milkmaid":10g7mz6l said:
If you're giving fluids SQ or IV, go ahead and give the calf the entire 1000mL bag of fluids. 100mL isn't enough; were you to set up an average dehydrated down calf on an IV it'd take some 6000mLs before the calf was rehydrated and standing.
I just checked the bag and it is 1000 not 100. Neither of them are dehydrated now and the squirts have stopped at least for a while so far

Latest posts