Scales in alleyway

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I am going to put a set of scales in the alleyway just before the palpation cage and squeeze chute. Gonna use it more for getting the correct dosage of wormer/meds than for selling off the farm. Will also be used to figure gain per day. I am thinking about pouring concrete in the area to set them on.
Looking for the good points and bad points in the different brands and/or installation. I will be doing this in the next few weeks so any ideas will be appreciated.

They are inside the barn so I have been told just a flat hard surface unless it is under the squeeze chute. But I think concrete would be easier to keep clean around.

Yeah, its amazing how much dirt and grime builds up underneath them. Its best to have it where you can blow out from under them or run a water hose. I have tru-test and I like them. You can gather a lot of info by using them religiously. Tip - don't weld around them.

Pour the concrete. It will serve as a good solid base so that the scale doesn;t sink into the mud which it will over time.

dun":31udc5o8 said:
Pour the concrete. It will serve as a good solid base so that the scale doesn;t sink into the mud which it will over time.

I figured that even though it is inside a barn with a thousand or so going over them each year they would finally sink.
Also I am getting a cost share that will pay $1500 of the costs so makes sense to pour.

yes pour the concrete pad to set your scales on.an have your scales calabrated once you install them.because i doubt if they will still be right going from factory to dealer to farm.

I poured a concrete pad and installed mine under the squeeze chute. They work great and are very accurate. I can hose out from underneath easily and the concrete has enough slope for good water run-off. My scale display head is detachable so I keep it in the garage until I need it. The scales are one of the best investments that I have made.

Thanks everyone, Tru test is the brand one of my best friends sell so I am glad to hear good reviews on them. Sounds like concrete is the way to go also.

kenny thomas":1lnxi8jr said:
We just flatten these old limestone rocks and it is stronger than concrete. But you dont have rocks so you cant do that. :cry2:
Nope, every limestone rock here has been hauled at least 100 miles. We do have a plant over close to Memphis that's makes rocks out of gumbo clods.

Latest posts