Saturday: WSU AI Workshop for Beef & Dairy Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I'm signed up, as is a neighbor. We'll leave at -0- dark-thirty Sat. morning, for the workshop that starts at 9:00 and runs to 4:00. "Sample topics" are: Bull Selection; EPD's; Heat Synch; Breeding Plan Development; Heat Detection & Record Keeping; Nutrition for Successful Gestation; Pregnancy Testing. I'm sure it will be informative.

My sis (she and her hubby are both AI certified and in OR) said to be sure to ask the instructor if this was a "hands on" workshop, and if so, we might want to take rain gear.

So, I asked: "Is this hands-on? Do I need to bring a change of clothes or maybe rain gear, or?"

The reply: "There will be some hands on with reproductive tracts, inside."

Me: "Inside a cow, or inside a building?"

It's in the building. No "real" cows attached. But I expect to go there and learn something more about something I know little about. And as a bonus, get to spend that evening with a niece I don't see often, over a killer spaghetti dinner and libations.

Just hope it doesn't snow . . . . I don't like driving in it, and the guys will be at home working on the chute/handling system.

Hope you all (all y'all) have a great weekend!!

Kathie in Thorp
Re:
Me: "Inside a cow, or inside a building?"
rof13.gif
you're a real trip!!
Have a good time
SL

That's the way I learned AI and palpation in college. Spent 2 wks of lab working with reproductive tracts on a table before ever went to a live cow. Made the real thing much easier.

Mid South Guy":34lq00f2 said:
That's the way I learned AI and palpation in college. Spent 2 wks of lab working with reproductive tracts on a table before ever went to a live cow. Made the real thing much easier.
This is a one-day deal. Still, it's a learning experience. I'll report back, after.

Even with a one day deal, being able to see with your eyes what you are feeling with your hands is a huge learning experience that most "AI Techs" never get.

I'm interested in attending. Can you post the link? Most WSU classes that have to do with cattle are usually too far for me, where's it located?

Rainplace":2xncmhtc said:
I'm interested in attending. Can you post the link? Most WSU classes that have to do with cattle are usually too far for me, where's it located?

Rainplace, the workshop is in Spokane. See the following Craigs ad link, that contains more contact information and another link. If you're thinking about going, you should call them today! http://spokane.craigslist.org/grd/2666742559.html

It's a 3-hr. drive for us, but that's about as close as we can get to WSU classes, too.

Kathie in Thorp":361xroz3 said:
Rainplace":361xroz3 said:

Rainplace, the workshop is in Spokane. See the following Craigs ad link, that contains more contact information and another link. If you're thinking about going, you should call them today! http://spokane.craigslist.org/grd/2666742559.html

It's a 3-hr. drive for us, but that's about as close as we can get to WSU classes, too.

Have a good time and learn much! I would have had to leave yesterday to make it there, leaving the barn roof unfinished. I wish our extension agents over here would let us know the the classes available around the state. I tried googling for this class after I posted yesterday and only found an AI class they offered in August.

Workshop was good. There was so much information to fit into a tight day, that they weren't even able to get it all out there. But learned a lot! Nutrition section was really good; heat detection/synchronization protocols good; some (of course -- and they were good sponsor folks) pitching for semen suppliers, AI'ers, preg checkers, but those folks also have lots of experience that was shared; "cow parts" to play with, etc., etc., etc. And a really good taco/burrito bar for lunch. WSU/coordinators did a good job. It was well worth the drive and the $59 fee. And locked in 3 Angus feeder steers from a neighbor for next year's customers on the way home (maybe a heifer, too -- thinkin about that).

Rainplace, your local extension agent should get a calendar of things that are going on workshop-wise for pretty much all over the state. Make a call -- ask for notification about classes that are in your area of interest, or where to find a calendar on-line.

Kathie in Thorp":3anszc2c said:
Workshop was good. There was so much information to fit into a tight day, that they weren't even able to get it all out there. But learned a lot! Nutrition section was really good; heat detection/synchronization protocols good; some (of course -- and they were good sponsor folks) pitching for semen suppliers, AI'ers, preg checkers, but those folks also have lots of experience that was shared; "cow parts" to play with, etc., etc., etc. And a really good taco/burrito bar for lunch. WSU/coordinators did a good job. It was well worth the drive and the $59 fee. And locked in 3 Angus feeder steers from a neighbor for next year's customers on the way home (maybe a heifer, too -- thinkin about that).

Rainplace, your local extension agent should get a calendar of things that are going on workshop-wise for pretty much all over the state. Make a call -- ask for notification about classes that are in your area of interest, or where to find a calendar on-line.

Definitely worth attending and you need to ask those questions as you do not know if your hand is going to be up a cows butt this time or not ! :nod: I always enjoy attending those ,more so with the dairy than with the beef herd now ,mostly because it is just me here usually and I cannot get away as much as I like. But, one can never learn too much . Plus you always get to hear interesting speakers and meet great folks ..

Cannot wait to attend the Dr Temple Grandin livestock handling conference and seminar this winter .. :D

hillsdown":1jqdud3e said:
Kathie in Thorp":1jqdud3e said:

Definitely worth attending and you need to ask those questions as you do not know if your hand is going to be up a cows butt this time or not ! :nod: I always enjoy attending those ,more so with the dairy than with the beef herd now ,mostly because it is just me here usually and I cannot get away as much as I like. But, one can never learn too much . Plus you always get to hear interesting speakers and meet great folks ..

Cannot wait to attend the Dr Temple Grandin livestock handling conference and seminar this winter .. :D

Hillsdown, I would volunteer as the baggage carrier and/or gun bearer for anyone attending a Temple Grandin presentation, to watch it! That is one amazing woman! Lucky you! I would hope that everyone on the CT boards has seen the movie. :banana:

I doubt if I will actually do any AI on my own -- we have a good AI guy. But I learned a bunch about getting your chances better; and learned there are things I can do in that direction. That was what I was looking for with that workshop, along with the basic "mechanics" of it.

hillsdown":34zrembo said:
Kathie in Thorp":34zrembo said:

Where and when is this held? Been wanting to go to the Farm Fair in Edmonton but for some reason never get the chance to go. :(