Santa Gertrudis cross Herefords Star Five

Help Support CattleToday:

I knew some people around here years ago who had some Hereford x Santa Gertrudis cows. They made good cows, and I don't see why they wouldn't raise good calves from an Angus bull.

Best cow I have found for my environment in North Alabama. And not saying that because I sell them. Anyone I have will not be for sale and actually just bought 4 more. You get just enough ear to fight the heat and the ticks and the mosquitos and flies. But the calves are only 1/4 gert if bred to Black Angus so the calves show no ear. The Calves with a Black Angus bull look like Brockled face black hided cattle. The amount of white on the face varies. You get enough milk from the Gert side but not too much. You get the mothering ability of the gert and the gentleness from most Hereford. Which is a cow gentle enough to work with but will fight to the death to protect her calf. The Hereford tends to take care of the late maturing in some Gerts or Brahman crosses. It also helps with the fleshing that can be harder in some Gerts or Brahman crosses. I don't think pink eye or cancer eye is ever a problem. The calves tend to grade well being 50 % Angus and 25% Hereford . The trick is to get the yield grade but that is not a bad problem to have.

My understanding that "star 5" cattle are just at least 50% Gert. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

The don't have to be Gert x Hereford to be star 5.

You are correct. It is just the most popular cross has turned out to be the Gert x Hereford but it can be Gert x "anything". I think of the Gert x Hereford as a tamed down version of a Tiger stripe which are popular here and especially a little farther south.

That being the case we have a pasture full of star5 cows !!!
The cross being Gert x char. The calves do well growing and well at the barn.

Did a Google search as I too am not familiar with Star Five Cattle:

Origin of Breed

The Star Five name reflects its Santa Gertrudis heritage. Star Five cattle are progeny of a registered Santa Gertrudis bull or a registered Santa Gertrudis cow crossed 50% with any other breed that the producer desires. Each five points of the star represents an essential focus of beef cattle breeding: fertility, milking ability, gain-ability, conformation, and gentle disposition. The Star Five Program adds value to Santa Gertrudis influence cattle by recording vital breeding information. The objective of the Star Five Program is to create an avenue for the participants to increase the demand of the Santa Gertrudis purebred and Santa Gertrudis cross cattle by improving the marketable product through perception, acceptability, management, superior genetics, performance, marketing and records.

Physical Description

The Star Five range from a light red or honey in color, to a Santa Gertrudis cherry red. Some range from a reddish-brown to dark brown. They can either be horned or polled. They are large framed with an influence of Bos Indicus in their appearance.

Defining Characteristics

Star Five cattle have proven very heat resistant and adapt extremely well to southern climates and environments. They are known for their excellent conformation, carcass quality, fertility and mothering abilities. The calves reach high weaning and yearling weights, perform extremely well in the feedyard, and obtain maximum results at the packing plants. Santa Cruz are great for crossbred operations and provide high quality carcass and lean, high quality cuts of beef. Both females and males are early maturing. Five Stars are mainly used in a commercial setting.

Development in America

Santa Gertrudis Breeders International recently approved this new program and Star Five cattle may be recorded as such with the association. Star Five cattle are at least 50% Santa Gertrudis but may have additional Santa Gertrudis heritage, up to and including straight bred. Two options are available for cattle to be eligible for entry in the Star Five Program. Eligible cattle must be from one registered Santa Gertrudis parent, bull or cow and offspring derived from a non-registered purebred herd base, bull or female. The breed has become very popular in the southeast and southwest regions of the United States, due to their adaptability to the warm climate.

Registry and Improvement Programs

In 1950, the Santa Gertrudis Breeders International Association was formed at Kingsville, Texas. After their approval of the breed plan, Star Five became eligible for registration and Association with this organization. The Association provides registrations, transfers, performance data, sales and member services as well as a junior program, shows and scholarships.

You might do a search for posts by midtncattle--over the past couple years he's posted a number of photos and positive comments on the HerefordxSanta Gertrudis cross. The breed did a promotional video a few years ago, which deals specifically with the HerefordxSanta Gertrudis cross: http://www.agsmart.tv/musicvideo.php?vid=358a950f9

We run a purebred herd of Santa Gertrudis over in Rowan County.

Each five points of the star represents an essential focus of beef cattle breeding: fertility, milking ability, gain-ability, conformation, and gentle disposition.
Physical Description

The Star Five range from a light red or honey in color, to a Santa Gertrudis cherry red. Some range from a reddish-brown to dark brown. .
[sarcasm on]
Uh OH--oh crap!! No points for, or even a mention of the most contagious disease outside of Ebola---------black hide fever.
[/sarcasm off]

[/quote]
[sarcasm on]
Uh OH--oh crap!! No points for, or even a mention of the most contagious disease outside of Ebola---------black hide fever.
[/sarcasm off][/quote]

Nothing that an Angus bull can't cure. :)
And since that was his original question...yes it does look like breeding to Angus would make a good 3 way cross.

So I learned something. Star Fives result whenever a Gert is used to make a F1.
Star 5 is the preferred name for Gert F1s.

Since that's the case then I can say in 1967 my Uncle had a Star 5 heifer.
He crossed an A.I. Gert bull from ABS with a Brown Swiss dairy cow for a freezer beef.
Hands down she was the Wildest, craziest calf ever on his farm. So so crazy that I still remember her to this day.
Only took being around that one heifer to learn... never use Gert again.

But they are probably good cattle for all you Rebels south of the Mason Dixon Line.

I have gerts and none are crazy. I call them in with feed bucket and work them, ai, spary them, and whatever else I need. Last one we ai'ed took longer for the water to warm then to get her in corral and in chute. I am sure there are some crazy one's but I'd just cut the heads off them. I do realize anything with Brahman influence is smart enough to know when the gate shuts something is up.

Our Gerts are very calm. My 4 year old feeds a few of them out of her hand. I wish we had 50 more in the pasture

I've been around two sets of registered gerts. One set was raised here on the valley floor in ideal conditions for pet cattle and they were so waspy it was a balancing act between fight or flight just walking out to toss hay over the fence. That set started getting crossed with hereford in an effort to tone them down a little and has since been sold and replaced.
The other set was up in some nasty country near where my cows run and they were handled like ranch cattle and were still scratch behind the ear gentle. I helped that owner brand one time and those cows gathered themselves when they saw us coming and sorted themselves when we got them to the corrals. After branding they grabbed their calves and moseyed back up the hill like they hadn't been handled at all. The only downside to that bunch was they were pretty milky for this area and needed a little help to breed up.

Son of Butch":jdg5w6ly said:
ALACOWMAN":jdg5w6ly said:
ain't crazy bout gerts.

Why is that?
Since you are in the "Heart of Dixie" what would you rate as the 3 best crosses for your area?
Well I ain't much of a breed basher ,there's several breeds I don't care for, But they have their place. If i were to pick a 3 waycross that I liked personally ,it would be Bradford'F1s. covered by Fleckvieh,

Latest posts