Santa Gertrudis?Beefmaster?Red Brangus?Red Brahmas?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
Has anyone ever ran all 4 of these rather than 1 specific breed?
How did it work?If they were all cherry red,they would be a nice uniform herd right?You would have best of the best?I was just chewing on the thought of buying 5 replacement heifers show quality from each of the 4 breeds.Or is it best just to stay with 1 of the 4?Best Bull or Bulls to AI them if you did have all 4?Then marketing the calves where?Yeah I guess most you can haggle back and forth which of the 4 is the better breed until Moses comes back.Then toss in Red Angus and a few other solid red breeds in this topic :roll:.Or is it plain and simple personal choice when it comes to the santa gertrudis vs beefmaster vs brangus,then a red herd or black herd?Cost a lot to join each breed association too as so you can sell at the replacement sales.Hard to decide,I like them all.

I guess that all depends on what you plan on raising them for... All are good breeds, and have their different qualities that set them apart. I have personally had Gertrudis bulls, and Beefmaster, as well as Beefmaster cows.. I didnt care for the Gertrudis bull as much as I like the Beefmaster. Brangus is very popular around my area.. (NE Oklahoma) But the angus (whether red or black) do well also.
Why join an association, if all you are going to do is sell at the barn sales?

For your area any or all would work. I like them all equally.
It really does not make any since to buy 4 or 5 of each.unless you have some special cross that you want to produce. Normally you would pick 2 breeds for an F1 and then come back with another breed for a terminal calf. That is if you plan on raiseing crossbreds. And as stated above they do not have to be regestered. There is really not going to be enough heterosis to justify crossing these animals together.
If you are stuck on cherry red try any of your 4 breeds on red angus or herford or shorthorn or any other european breed, that you can get in red.
If you are going to go regestered then choose one and only one.

of the one's you mentioned id pick only one. red brahman.. the brahman would give you more options to cross. to herf ,simm. red angus. you could get all of the ones you mentioned and then some without the mongrels . you could AI them to one of each

Brahma Bull":1t0kkxcq said:
How did it work?If they were all cherry red,they would be a nice uniform herd right?You would have best of the best?I was just chewing on the thought of buying 5 replacement heifers show quality from each of the 4 breeds.Or is it best just to stay with 1 of the 4?Best Bull or Bulls to AI them if you did have all 4?Then marketing the calves where?Yeah I guess most you can haggle back and forth which of the 4 is the better breed until Moses comes back.Then toss in Red Angus and a few other solid red breeds in this topic :roll:.Or is it plain and simple personal choice when it comes to the santa gertrudis vs beefmaster vs brangus,then a red herd or black herd?Cost a lot to join each breed association too as so you can sell at the replacement sales.Hard to decide,I like them all.

I came through your neck of the woods last summer unless you have gotten a lot of rain pick the one with the most growth potential on dirt. Gerts tend to have fertility problems as well as attitude, bulls are bad about stepping on there tally whacker, family ran a large herd for years.
Out of all you listed you have more earning potential with the Beefmasters.

Brahma Bull":1xay2r9e said:

There are a lot of tan Beefmasters around here, not cherry red.

with the brahman F1 you well have a market for your heifers but the steers will take a beat'in. but the heifers will make up the difference if you market them right

This is off the subject,I'm sorry, but I would advise you to build a very stout set of working pens before buying any of the breeds listed. These cattle are not for the first timer. Even if they are gentle they can have a totaly diferent attitude in the coral.

Right now the pens are almost brahma proof.My brahma bull tore up the shute pen then busted down the main gate when the vet hit him with the vacc last year.I had some wild crazy brahm cows too.I just thinking about trying some different breeds for a change.I have had my fair share of cattle problems too.Just need lot of input on all those heifers before spending lot of $$$$$ on them,then selling the calves besides the sales barn as I have always done.

The beefmasters are usually pretty docile, crossed with Charolais bulls=nice calves. Hereford bulls on Gerts are pretty nice too. They are having an e6 sale in columbus apr 15. E6 is at least 50% beefm. Usually, alot of the cattle are 3/4 or better beefs.

to get the most bang for you buck i would recommend beefmaster cows bred to hereford, red angus, or red simmental.

Yeah looking at all those different breeds such as santa cruz,
droughtmaster,balancer.Then crosses with the char,simm,limo,
herford,angus,brahma.The santa gertrudis and beefmaster too.
No simple answers to which is the best breed,puts the most $$$$ in your pockets,has best performance and trouble free.Lot
of years,trial and error,thoughts,opinions into all these breeds.
The same idea i was chewing on.Guess what works best for you and stay with it.But personally I love my Brahmas,even the wild crazy ones.They will always bring back memories and laughs when your sitting in your rock chair on the front porch.

Frankie":371xac50 said:
Brahma Bull":371xac50 said:

Look at Beefmaster Breeders United home page.Look pretty cherry red to me.Would love to have than bunch.

Brahma Bull":ax7n94ni said:
Frankie":ax7n94ni said:
Brahma Bull":ax7n94ni said:

Look at Beefmaster Breeders United home page.Look pretty cherry red to me.Would love to have than bunch.
they come red. red/white white/red tan/white white/tan. tan some black some blacker some not so black . some not so tan as they are red and some have it all ;-)

ALACOWMAN":2aw30dtr said:
Brahma Bull":2aw30dtr said:
Frankie":2aw30dtr said:
Brahma Bull":2aw30dtr said:

they come red. red/white white/red tan/white white/tan. tan some black some blacker some not so black . some not so tan as they are red and some have it all ;-)
Well when I get home on leave,I'll go looking for some solid red heifers.

Limomike":2f3c40s4 said:
I guess that all depends on what you plan on raising them for... All are good breeds, and have their different qualities that set them apart. I have personally had Gertrudis bulls, and Beefmaster, as well as Beefmaster cows.. I didnt care for the Gertrudis bull as much as I like the Beefmaster. Brangus is very popular around my area.. (NE Oklahoma) But the angus (whether red or black) do well also.
Well I would keep the first few heifers,then begin to sell them.I have never bought or sold at a replacement sale.Only sold at the sales barn or off the farm,same with buying.To sell at one of the yearly sales all those associations have,gotta be a member?Then registered vs commerical,as far as money.Sell commerical all week long but have to hold on longer with registered.I know you can pay a pretty price on those reg. red brahmas,if nothing else can sell FI off them.I just want to have a complete understanding of all this before I go pay $,$$$.00 for a couple of heifers.

Brahma Bull":ue8o8h2i said:
Limomike":ue8o8h2i said:
Well I would keep the first few heifers,then begin to sell them.I have never bought or sold at a replacement sale.Only sold at the sales barn or off the farm,same with buying.To sell at one of the yearly sales all those associations have,gotta be a member?Then registered vs commerical,as far as money.Sell commerical all week long but have to hold on longer with registered.I know you can pay a pretty price on those reg. red brahmas,if nothing else can sell FI off them.I just want to have a complete understanding of all this before I go pay $,$$$.00 for a couple of heifers.

Stay away from heifers at those sales buy 3 n 1's if your are going to try and get in the registered game buy something proven. To many things to go wrong with heifers.

Caustic Burno":1lfybes2 said:
Brahma Bull":1lfybes2 said:
Limomike":1lfybes2 said:

Stay away from heifers at those sales buy 3 n 1's if your are going to try and get in the registered game buy something proven. To many things to go wrong with heifers.
burno is right stay away from the heifers at reg sales.theres to much that can go wrong with them.im going to a reg sale in may.an all i intend to get are bred cows pairs or 3 in 1s.unless a friend tells me to buy a bred heifer.i intend on buying 3 to 5yr old cows.

Yep,perhaps so.I bought 6 heifers in the ring few years ago.I lost one calfing.One had a difficult time calfing and one didn't make a good cow,sold these 2 last year.But still have the other 3.They are santa gertrudis and beefmaster.Then got a good deal on a black/white speckle brahma heifer.The man that sold her said she was too wild and crazy,would mess up his herd.So she is my best cow now.No problem with her 1st calf.So looks like a roll of the dice when you buying heifers.Then what about all these heifers selling at the replacement sales or like the ones selling at livestock shows for high dollars.The guys that buy them are so well off,they are able to take that risk,take the loss if anything goes wrong?Where as a small guy like me it would be a train wreck.I can't afford much more loss after loosing 1/2 my herd to different things the past 2 years.So though I would try buying the best I could find.

Brahma Bull":3majxo04 said:
Yep,perhaps so.I bought 6 heifers in the ring few years ago.I lost one calfing.One had a difficult time calfing and one didn't make a good cow,sold these 2 last year.But still have the other 3.They are santa gertrudis and beefmaster.Then got a good deal on a black/white speckle brahma heifer.The man that sold her said she was too wild and crazy,would mess up his herd.So she is my best cow now.No problem with her 1st calf.So looks like a roll of the dice when you buying heifers.Then what about all these heifers selling at the replacement sales or like the ones selling at livestock shows for high dollars.The guys that buy them are so well off,they are able to take that risk,take the loss if anything goes wrong?Where as a small guy like me it would be a train wreck.I can't afford much more loss after loosing 1/2 my herd to different things the past 2 years.So though I would try buying the best I could find.
in the cattle business well off or poor doesnt count.its how you spend the money that you have on cattle.but i will tell you this reg beefmaster cows will cost you from $1500 to $3000 a hd depending on their breeding.

Latest posts