salt or trace mineral block ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Plenty of topics here on this same question but short answer is they will never get the amount of mineral they need licking a block. Usually they will hit loose mineral get a couple mouth fulls go back to doing what cows do.

You get what you pay for with mineral.
Use loose for both mineral and salt.
The company's that say don't put out salt don't have a good product either. The good ones know they cows will ingest what they need.
Give them time to level off though.

The added price tag of the trace mineral block is really high.. I use standard blue blocks, loose salt, as well as loose mineral.. I especially use the blocks if I am moving them frequently

I agree with M-5 totally and have been advised by my vet to use a custom made loose mineral with salt in it that is appropriate for where my cattle are raised. The cows can lick a salt block for hours on end and never get enough of the trace minerals they need, especially if you are in an area where there is a particular mineral deficiency. It might be a good idea to take some random blood tests and submit them for mineral testing to know exactly what you may or may not need.

they love to lick the blocks tho...and I keep loose out. it keeps the comsumption down on the minerals a bit isnce they cost more but they still go thru alotta loose salt

they love to lick the blocks tho...and I keep loose out. it keeps the comsumption down on the minerals a bit isnce they cost more but they still go thru alotta loose salt

jedstivers":34j2rcdb said:
The company's that say don't put out salt don't have a good product either. The good ones know they cows will ingest what they need.

What is the best mineral then IYO? Practically every bag of mineral I have ever fed from the cheapest to the most expensive says to not feed additional salt, or feed as sole source of salt.

Banjo":rbzvpgt7 said:
jedstivers":rbzvpgt7 said:

What is the best mineral then IYO? Practically every bag of mineral I have ever fed from the cheapest to the most expensive says to not feed additional salt, or feed as sole source of salt.
The ADM rep that calls on me says theirs is fine to use beside salt. Said the reason company's don't want it is because their mineral taste so bad the cattle won't use it if they have salt too.
I place one right beside the other and the cattle use about the amount of mineral they are supposed to. I don't know if the bag says it ok or not.

Latest posts