Sales yard feed cost

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
What is your local auction charging for feed cost per head, if it so happens to be listed separately on your sales statements.

We are charging $1.00 per head currently and wondering if it should be increased.

The local sale charges $2.00 or $2.50 but I never leave anything there. The better sale over at Toppenish charges $1.50 and they feed a whole lot better.

it's way too much over here.. like $5/hd for calves and $10 for cows??? I don't have the exact numbers but it's WAY over the price of feed.. Mine usually stay there overnight, I deliver in the evening and they go through when there are bums in the seats to buy them. .Nothing worse than having your animals go through when all the buyers are getting coffee still or when all the trucks are full

Thanks for the reply, guys. Just came back from meeting and it was decided to keep status quo. It still pays for our feed costs and leaves a little left over, so no need to raise them yet. Don't want our costs to be too high and not be competitive with the big barns.

That's very very reasonable I believe it's $8/small square here. I always bring my own hay when I sell if I leave them overnight

I sold 2 cows and a calf yesterday. I dropped them off around 11:00am, and they were sold within a few hours.

Gross total was $3,150. Commission was $110.26, yardage was $9.00, brand inspection was $2.55, BFC (whatever that is) was $6.00, and $20.00 to palpate and age the two cows. Total deduct was $147.81.

Rafter S":1qwyq0y8 said:
I sold 2 cows and a calf yesterday. I dropped them off around 11:00am, and they were sold within a few hours.

Gross total was $3,150. Commission was $110.26, yardage was $9.00, brand inspection was $2.55, BFC (whatever that is) was $6.00, and $20.00 to palpate and age the two cows. Total deduct was $147.81.
Rafter that .bfc is for the beef check they voted on it last year at the local ag extension office $2 per head.

bmcdonald":1lxfk3jk said:
Rafter S":1lxfk3jk said:

Rafter that .bfc is for the beef check they voted on it last year at the local ag extension office $2 per head.

Thank you. I knew about the check-off program of course. I just wasn't putting 2 and 2 together.

I sent five to our sale here in Middle GA in early March. The feed charge was $3.30. I sent ten in January and it was $8.80. Very reasonable.

Latest posts