Salebarn heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

dyates

Reaction score
Had a cousin who bought three late term heifers at the salebarn (against my advise). "They were too cheap to pass up!" he said. Week later, my phone rings with a request to assist him with pulling a calf. After some examination, we determined that the calf was turned every which way. One foot was back and the head was turned back. He called the vet to cut it out, couldn't get it all out. 44 slug to the head. This process repeated twice more. Those heifers that were too cheap to pass up ended up costing him $2100 and three 44 shells with absolutely nothing to show. Just another reminder to make sure you know what you are buying and don't buy late term bred cattle that have been hassled around and handled rough.

Did the vet not try a c-section?? Seems surprising to me he would just recommend up and shooting the animals. You could have possibly saved the calf or the cow, possibly both, and at least got some salvage value out of them.

bandit80":1wob1mhu said:
Did the vet not try a c-section?? Seems surprising to me he would just recommend up and shooting the animals. You could have possibly saved the calf or the cow, possibly both, and at least got some salvage value out of them.

All three calves were dead. Neither of the three were in labor very long before intervention, so they must have been dead already. He cut the calves out since they were already dead, but in each case, he was unable to get everything out. He could have done a c-section, but I'm guessing that would have costed more than the animals were worth. The best heifer of the three wouldn't have brought more than $500 if she was healthy.

dyates":1oqvfb55 said:
All three calves were dead. Neither of the three were in labor very long before intervention, so they must have been dead already. He cut the calves out since they were already dead, but in each case, he was unable to get everything out. He could have done a c-section, but I'm guessing that would have costed more than the animals were worth. The best heifer of the three wouldn't have brought more than $500 if she was healthy.

10-4. That just flat out stinks. The old saying "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is" is very prominent in the cattle business. Especially when buying animals.

1 the guy needs to get a new vet.2 when a calf is twisted up like the 1st one.an no cutting the calf out 1 peice at a time.the vet was wrong in cutting the calf out in the 1st place.a good vet wouldve known the only way to get that calf out dead or alive would be a C-section.an thats about $300 an a live heifer.im sorry im so rough.but sorry vets tees me off.

I can't disagree. I just wish the guy would have listened and not bought them to begin with.
1. They were heifers
2. High percentage continentals bred to who knows what.
3. Underdeveloped, underfed, and bred when they were too small.
4. Flighty, crazy
5. Very late term
6. Obviously, handled rough.

I'm no cattle expert, but if there were a manual that said what not to buy, the picture of these three would have been there.

Latest posts