Sale barn/stock pen

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I've been on here several years, and I still haven't fully adjusted to calling a place where cattle are sold the "sale barn," but I notice that's what everyone calls it here. We call it the "stock pen" in my neck of KY. I believe I've called it the sale-barn in my threads before just to not cause confusion, but around here, it's the stock pen. Has anyone else here heard it called that, or is it sale barn in most places? I'm not sure I've heard either one in movies; it's usually just called the cattle auction.

Shredding pasture, and referring to a hay roll, as a bale took some adjusting as well.

Bigfoot said:
Shredding pasture, and referring to a hay roll, as a bale took some adjusting as well.

Same here. It's hay rolls with me. I've actually never heard of shredding pasture. Is that "mowing" pasture?

I also remember a thread from a few years back about "mowing hay." That's what we call it around here, but many called it mowing grass because they said it wasn't actually hay while still standing in the field.

herofan said:
Bigfoot said:

Same here. It's hay rolls with me. I've actually never heard of shredding pasture. Is that "mowing" pasture?

I also remember a thread from a few years back about "mowing hay." That's what we call it around here, but many called it mowing grass because they said it wasn't actually hay while still standing in the field.

Yes, I'd say I'm going to clip pasture (probably a reference to the days of old when all I had was a sickle mower). Most here say shred pasture.

Sale Barn is standard term around here. Stock pen is where the cattle stand after being
unloaded and are waiting to be sold in the Sale Barn. They also go back to the pen after selling.

Bale of hay, rounds or squares here. A hay roll for bale seems to be a southern regional expression.
Except in Kentucky or West Virginia... I think then it involves a sister or a cousin. :)

They have always been referred to as stockyards here in eastern half of KY.
Another regional difference is we call calves off of cows feeders instead of stockers.
It's always been hay rolls here too, bales refers to the small squares.

Bigfoot said:
Yes, I'd say I'm going to clip pasture (probably a reference to the days of old when all I had was a sickle mower). Most here say shred pasture.

Interesting. If we were mowing pasture a little high to keep things under control, we would say clipping pasture. If we are using a rotary mower to cut down fields that are grown up, we are going to "bush hog" regardless of the brand name of the mower. If we are cutting grass for hay, we are "mowing hay." I find cultural differences very interesting.

Stockyards and sale barns.
The stock pen is on my end where I sort/load em, not on the end of the line where they're sold.

This discussion reminds me of my father who taught Ag and shop. He always referred to a grease fitting as an Alemite instead of a grease Zerk. The original fitting was invented by Arthur Gulborg of the Alemite Die Casting & Mfg. Co.in about 1916 in the early 1920's Oskar Ulysses Zerkowitz improved on the fitting. Evidently the name can be regional but a lot of the old-timers always called them Alemites instead of Zerks.

sstterry said:
This discussion reminds me of my father who taught Ag and shop. He always referred to a grease fitting as an Alemite instead of a grease Zerk. The original fitting was invented by Arthur Gulborg of the Alemite Die Casting & Mfg. Co.in about 1916 in the early 1920's Oskar Ulysses Zerkowitz improved on the fitting. Evidently the name can be regional but a lot of the old-timers always called them Alemites instead of Zerks.

Alemites is what people call them here. I have never heard the term "zerk" in reference to grease fitting

herofan said:
sstterry said:

Alemites is what people call them here. I have never heard the term "zerk" in reference to grease fitting

I reckon that's where the term Alemite grease comes from. I had never heard of a zerk before a few years ago, when some of the new equipment manuals started calling them that. They were always just grease fittins around here but have heard some say alemite grease.

Latest posts