Sale barn/stock pen

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Ky hills said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I guess it's time to introduce the great Staples vs "steeples" debate one more time.

Don't know about anybody else but I staple paper and steeple bob wire to fence posts.

Well since I never bought a tub that had "steeples" written on it so I'll stick with staples.

What ever works. :lol2: :lol2:

I agree with everything so far, but calling a pond, a tank, like they do in texas just goes too dang far!

the ditch along the road we call bar ditch, but i think it's actually borrow ditch (borrowed dirt and built road up)

snoopdog said:
I agree with everything so far, but calling a pond, a tank, like they do in texas just goes too dang far!

I've never heard that before. I also never heard of a special name for a ditch.

I just read this thread through. Had to smile. I had never heard of shredding before coming on this forum. In fact, I wasn't sure what it was until I saw someone posted a pic with a tractor and bush hog and realized what they meant. So for a former Yankee with pretty deep roots in Va for nearly 40 years... here's some of what I use/hear.
Stockyards and sometimes sale barn or stock sale or cattle auctions.
Bush hog or brush hog
Creeks here in Va - streams in Ct.
Ponds in Ct - ponds, water holes in Va.
Hay is round bales, and often rolls, and "square bales " for the small rectangulars. "Big squares" for the bigger rectangulars.
Mowing or cutting Hay both here & Ct.
Grease gun, grease fittings
Adjustable wrench but sometimes a crescent wrench (more often in Ct)
Vice grips both places
Country fried more up north, chicken fried more in Va., but usually up in Ct it was just cube steak in gravy and often did not have the breading or fried....
Baling wire was used mostly in Ct and north, for bigger 100 lb type "square bales" yet people talk about holding things together with baling wire....
Baling string Va and Ct but have heard "tar strings" from some old timers in the Richmond area... string was tarred to keep the rodents from chewing on it.
Baler twine as opposed to baling string
"Carry you" to somewhere was a new one when I moved down here.... rather than "take you" I looked at the guy and thought he was nuts the first time I heard it, thinking he meant it literally......
Give you a lift opposed to give you a ride.....
Buy a Soda in Ct, get a "drink" here in Va
"Soda" as opposed to "pop" as opposed to a "drink"
"ya reckin" in Va, "you think" or " I imagine" in Ct

sale barn, sale, auction (stockyard is where cattle are fed out)
bales - 2 or 3 wire (string) or big round, rarely big square
tank, stock pond, pond, water hole
trough (never heard drinker until recently) - for feed or water
not around hay growers much but "cut" is my recollection
zerk - fitting for grease
cowboy steak, fried chicken - breaded fried foods served with mashed potatoes and cream gravy (and ice tea)
baling wire, can still get it at the hardware store but not on bales anymore :)cry:)
baling string or twine or just string/twine - ugly, useless hazard to livestock
bob wire (also bob war) (use gloves so you don't cut your fanger)
corral, pen, water lot
adjustable wrench is a type of crescent wrench but not all crescents are adjustable
vice grips
glove box
soda
wash, arroyo
pasture - rangeland that can be several sections in size
hill - geographical feature some might call a mountain
rain - rare phenomenon measured in 100ths of an inch
hand - someone good at work, helpful, knowledgeable - especially with livestock
feed - amount of grass/forage grown from rare rainfall events

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Just say "coke" and everyone in the south will know you mean "soda", except in Texas where it's all about Dr Pepper.

All carbonated sodas are just called "Coke" here in the south! I suppose in New York City you could get in trouble to say I am going downtown to by some Coke..... :lol:

sstterry said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Just say "coke" and everyone in the south will know you mean "soda", except in Texas where it's all about Dr Pepper.

All carbonated sodas are just called "Coke" here in the south! I suppose in New York City you could get in trouble to say I am going downtown to by some Coke..... :lol:
here, it's meth... and you don't have to go downtown to get it ..just next door ...like the old days, borrowing a cup of sugar ..

ALACOWMAN said:
sstterry said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

here, it's meth... and you don't have to go downtown to get it ..just next door ...like the old days, borrowing a cup of sugar ..
Or a quart of moonshine.

It's interesting with all the different terminology used across the country, I rarely notice it when I'm watching tv or movies. One would think I'd constantly be noticing names and phrases unlike what I'm accustomed to, but I don't notice it. Maybe I'm just in a different mindset when watching tv.

They use too auction livestock, out side in pens in the old days.. I'm sure some of the terms, stayed with the older bunch and kept it going..call your local stockyard..thats how they will answer nowadays ""stockyard""" .....not sale barn,or stock pens ... :cowboy:

this is a link to the fort worth stockyards. history and some neat pics.

https://www.redriverhistorian.com/fortworthstockyards.html

I've heard them called stockyards here in western virginia all my life.As a matter of fact part of the proper name for our local market is stockyards.The other market which was bought out by them 30 plus years ago was named" livestock market" but we all called it a stockyard as well.
As far as some other names,lots of things are called by the original name or brand.Bush Hog for all rotary cutters,Haybine for all mower/conditioners,Discbine for disc mower/conditioners,crescent wrench for all adjustables,vice grips for locking pliars,etc. Even heard all freezers called a Deep Freeze and refrigerators called a Frigidare.

ALACOWMAN said:
They use too auction livestock, out side in pens in the old days.. I'm sure some of the terms, stayed with the older bunch and kept it going..call your local stockyard..thats how they will answer nowadays ""stockyard""" .....not sale barn,or stock pens ... :cowboy:

or 'livestock commission'.

As a kid, we used to say "ice box" and I catch myself saying it still on occasion.... Had a real ice box at the family place in Vermont as a kid growing up. We literally would stop and get a block of ice on the way in to the cabin, to put in the ice box when we were there for the weekend.