Sale barn/stock pen

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
The original fitting was invented by Arthur Gulborg of the Alemite Die Casting & Mfg. Co.
in about 1916 in the early 1920's Oskar Ulysses Zerkowitz improved on the fitting. Evidently
the name can be regional...
Never too old to learn. I never heard of an Alemite, always have called them zerks and I had
no idea why.

I never heard it refereed to as a stock pen. Sale barn, sale yard, cow sale. Stock yard was used to refer to the big regional ones. Most of which no longer exist. I never heard of shredding until I started here. Clipping grass, weeds, or brush is call bush hogging or brush hogging. Mowing is cutting either hay or the lawn.

Around here, it's usually called the stockyards, though since i hang out here so much I do call it the sale barn quite often

Is it a crescent wrench or an adjustable wrench? What about vice grips or locking pliers? Photocopy or Xerox?

Nesikep said:
Around here, it's usually called the stockyards, though since i hang out here so much I do call it the sale barn quite often

Is it a crescent wrench or an adjustable wrench? What about vice grips or locking pliers? Photocopy or Xerox?

I've always heard adjustable wrench, locking pliers.

Nesikep said:

Is that a metric or standard crescent wrench?

Did anyone besides me lose some posts? The above from Kenny was made last night. I even commented on it, and several posts have been made today, but I'm not seeing them anymore. Anyone else, or just my device went haywire?

herofan said:
Did anyone besides me lose some posts? The above from Kenny was made last night. I even commented on it, and several posts have been made today, but I'm not seeing them anymore. Anyone else, or just my device went haywire?

I just saw the answer; the board was reset.

This is probably pronunciation over different wording, but when I was growing up, all the old timers called barbed wire "bob wire," and molasses "sargum," which I'm sure is a form of sorghum.

herofan said:
This is probably pronunciation over different wording, but when I was growing up, all the old timers called barbed wire "bob wire," and molasses "sargum," which I'm sure is a form of sorghum.

Yes that is how most pronounce both of those around here including myself still today.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I guess it's time to introduce the great Staples vs "steeples" debate one more time.

Don't know about anybody else but I staple paper and steeple bob wire to fence posts.

Latest posts