Sale Barn Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm happy for everyone that can sell the cull cows for 0.80 lb. . I'm lucky to get 0.60 . Seem like I take it in the shorts on culls !! good luck rj

cypressfarms":1y4ds9a4 said:
LRTX1":1y4ds9a4 said:
I haven't looked in a few weeks but basically if a 350lb calf will bring 1.50 that would total 525. If a 500lb calf will bring 1.10 that would total 550. How much did it cost you to bring that calf that extra 150 lbs? Just have to start going to the market and see what calves like yours would bring. Sometimes around here it just doesnt pencil out to keep as long as it would other places.

Exactly why I was leaning torward selling them early spring. If there is a bull with them, the cows may be light bred which will bring even more. Even as pairs (that will be split) they'll do good from 350 pounds on up, without having to keep them too long.

Not sure around here you would even make up the vet charge to have them preged at the sale barn. I havent seen any difference in price lately if they got numbers on their side or not.

Every year I buy a number of older cows and calf them out. I wean the calves when grass starts to fade in late summer. Cows go straight to the sale. I hold the calves for a month or so and sell weaned calves. There are huge regional differences around the country on the prefect weight to sell calves. The small end of my steer calves were just under 400 pounds and brought $1.60. The 550 pound steers brought $1.55. The biggest sort went 695 and brought $1.42. So by the head that is $640, $852, and $986. check with your local markets before deciding when the best time to sell is. Last years cows averaged costing me a little over $800 a head. They killed for a $723 average.

Latest posts