Sale Barn Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I bought two heavy bred cows. One calved last Sunday and one calved last Monday. Here are a few pictures.

Sunday born calf.

Monday calf.

My plan is to wean the calves and take them all four back to the sale barn and buy some hay or feed with the money. My question is: Is that a good decision?

Around my parts I would send them through the ring as pairs when the calves hit 3-4wts. They will sell as pairs or be split whichever brings more dollars. Here a 3-4wt will bring almost as many dollars home as 5-6wts and would be a quicker return on the investment.

Yep,

I'd keep them until first of spring and hope for rain! Spring rains and cow calf pairs in 2013 will be bell ringers (to quote the great caustic).

I'm guessing this is the infamous second calf and moma that the worry was over. By spring that front teat will hopefully be smaller, and you can make a nice profit.

Yes Cypressfarms, that is the cow and calf. I just was not sure wether to sell them as pairs open or breed them back, or sell the cows by themselves and then the calves by themselves. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks, Phil

SPJRanch":19j4sbop said:
Yes Cypressfarms, that is the cow and calf. I just was not sure wether to sell them as pairs open or breed them back, or sell the cows by themselves and then the calves by themselves. Just looking for suggestions. Thanks, Phil
Personally I would get them bred then sell them. But it's just me.

Aaron":2v6lla14 said:
The only place that BWF should be going, after that calf is older, is to the kill line.
:nod: I agree with Aaron, but there is nothing wrong with your plan. I know a man who has been doing that very thing for 6 years now. He has done so well he sold all his cows and does this plan only. He has done well enough he quit his job.

If you have plenty of grass ide sell the calves at about 400lbs and keep the cows back acouple of months and let them put some weight on. That bwf will be in pretty sorry shape by the time she takes a calf through the winter. Thoughs cows will never be sold as pairs. I do this all the time and it usually works out pretty good. You dont have to worry about bulls and when the grass and hay run out you sell the cows.

Part of the decision would depend on how old the cows are and what you paid for them. If they are short solid or younger and if you paid under 1,000, then I would feed them real good and sell them as pairs in March. If you paid more and have to have more, then you may need to keep them until mid summer, sell the calves, then sell the bred cows. If they are old cows, leave the calves on until late June, then pound the cows and the calves. If they are old, you probably paid around 800, so as pairs they would not bring enough in March to make much profit. The one with the big teat will get sucked down to normal pretty quick. Her teat will not get too big for a few more calves, but she may be an old cow, so you may need to feed her pretty well until spring. In years when there is pasture, I have made very good money buying old springers in December when no one wanted them, freshening them out and running them until July and pounding them out. Some years, you can buy the old pairs in March for what the springers cost in December, and those years you can make real good buying them and pounding them out in July.

LRTX1":2kmv9xk5 said:
Around my parts I would send them through the ring as pairs when the calves hit 3-4wts. They will sell as pairs or be split whichever brings more dollars. Here a 3-4wt will bring almost as many dollars home as 5-6wts and would be a quicker return on the investment.

@ LRTX1: I know you're saying that a younger/smaller calf will bring almost as much as an older/larger one based on per pound price being higher on the smaller one. Can you clarify that for me with specific weights & prices? Just wanting to hear your opinion on what age/size is best bang for buck when selling to auction (in Fla).

Sorry for the slight highjack.

Thanks everyone for your response.

Salebarn, I think I am going to adopt your plan. A little about the cows: I thought the bwf was in a lot better body condition than the black one. I have been giving the black one an extra scoop of feed in the mornings and evenings. I bought them both on 11/6/12 as 10 year old, 7 months bred. When I got them home and put them in the pen, I thought I made a big mistake. They ran the fence like a dog would. I gave them feed, water, and hay and got out of there. and watched them from afar and they settled down. I went back to the house shaking my head worried about what I brought home. They were the same for the next 3-4 days and then they figured out who was bringing them feed and water. Then things quickly progressed for the better. When I am by myself, no kids or grandkids, I can get in the pen and clean them out. This has turned out to be a fun learning experience for me and I hope I can make a few bucks for some more feed. The black one weighed 1275 lbs and cost $892.50. The bwf weighed 1425 and cost $983.25. One last thing, when people say they are selling their calves at 4 wt are they pulling them off before they are weaned and selling them or do they weigh 400 lbs when they are weaned? Thanks, Phil

Phil, at those weights, sounds like you got a really good buy on the cows. It was also smart to keep them in a pen and feed them so they would get used to you and settle down. When I am talking about selling 4 weights, it is right off the cow. At those weights, in late June, you could be talking calves 400 lbs at about 2 dollars per pound and cows 1300 lbs at 80 cents per pound if prices are anything like predicted. So you can see how it can be very profitable to buy those mature cows, calve them out and split them in the summer. I have made more money on those than on my permanent cows, almost every year. Most years, you can sell the cow for what you paid for her, then get the calf money on top of it. Of course, it depends on what you paid for the cow and you bought them well worth the money

brihop":2liad7iy said:
LRTX1":2liad7iy said:

@ LRTX1: I know you're saying that a younger/smaller calf will bring almost as much as an older/larger one based on per pound price being higher on the smaller one. Can you clarify that for me with specific weights & prices? Just wanting to hear your opinion on what age/size is best bang for buck when selling to auction (in Fla).

Sorry for the slight highjack.

I haven't looked in a few weeks but basically if a 350lb calf will bring 1.50 that would total 525. If a 500lb calf will bring 1.10 that would total 550. How much did it cost you to bring that calf that extra 150 lbs? Just have to start going to the market and see what calves like yours would bring. Sometimes around here it just doesnt pencil out to keep as long as it would other places.

LRTX1":3plj0tyl said:
I haven't looked in a few weeks but basically if a 350lb calf will bring 1.50 that would total 525. If a 500lb calf will bring 1.10 that would total 550. How much did it cost you to bring that calf that extra 150 lbs? Just have to start going to the market and see what calves like yours would bring. Sometimes around here it just doesnt pencil out to keep as long as it would other places.

Exactly why I was leaning torward selling them early spring. If there is a bull with them, the cows may be light bred which will bring even more. Even as pairs (that will be split) they'll do good from 350 pounds on up, without having to keep them too long.

Hold the bull. A cow takes care of herself, her calf on the ground, and next years crop. If you hold off next years crop she can do alot better for herself AND the calf on the ground.

I wouldn't wean the calves just take them straight to the salebarn when they get to 400lb. You bought the cows at kill prices, they will be another year older and you will get kill prices when you sell them open or bred they should bring the same price. Unless one gets sick your going go come out good.

Latest posts