Sale Barn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

When ya'll see those 'skinny' cattle/horses/whatever at the sale barn (or someones' pasture/lot/yard)--PLEASE :!: DO SOMETHING about it. Most of the time it can take up to 6 months once starvation/cruelty is reported to get anything done. By that time it's too late for many of the creatures.....there is ALOT of 'red tape' involved--most of us don't have ASPCA or 'Animal Cops' around the corner with the authority to do what they do. Most of the time it's up to your Sheriff's dept. and sometimes they can't even do much. (More red tape and, ugh, paperwork!) I understand folks' fall on hard times; but some folks they just don't care ("I have a registered/purebred such-and-such"; i.e. 'status quo') or don't think anything is 'wrong' with their animals.
It is hard to sit by & watch animals waste away because the 'owner' is too blind/stubborn/defiant to get them help or the proper feed.
If I remember correctly Houston Animal Cops (on TV) said they take in (rescue) an average of 1,000 horses per year. I know Texas is BIG, but thats ALOT of horses!! I'd hate to see their statistics on all the other critters they take in!!

Unfortunately, some people can't tell the difference between an animal that actually too thin and an animal that is naturally thin/bony. And Jerseys are a good example! I can't tell you how many times I've had people stop to yell at me for "starving those poor skinny cows", when my vet is telling me that they're too fat!!!!

I agree that animals should receive proper care and humane treatment, BUT it is totally wrong to put Animal Rightists in charge of determining what IS proper and humane treatment.
I've also watched those "Animal Cop" shows and they disgust me -- on occasion you do see animals that are truly abused, but mostly you see honest people being persecuted for using animals for anything other than housepets. They busted a "bunny mill" on there a while back -- "bunny mill" my backside! That was a show breeder who raised high quality show stock, horrible person that she is, she used her culls for meat -- that's why they got her!

Ann B

Ann-I agree with you again. Different breeds have different physical characteristics; no matter if it's cows, horses, dogs, cats, etc. I know some folks are well-intentioned; just 'under-educated'. Alot of the problems I see is the folls who move from the city to a acreage & don't really have a clue of how to properly care for or do anything with their newly aquired animal(s). Once the novelty wears off....well, you get the picture.
Compared to the little 'monster calves' out in the pasture (brahma cross by a Charlois bull); my dairy cross calves look, well, obviously different!! :p Guess it's like comparing apples to oranges...or however that old saying goes!

Your Avatar (photo) 'monster' sure would fill up my freezer.... :D Ya call him "mmm, mmm, good?!!" LOL

Latest posts