sale barn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

What angus9259 said. Put her in a chute and collect a fecal sample. A tablespoon in a small ziplock bag is all you need. It'll cost you around $35 for the test. Send it to K-State or where ever. Labs have the necessary information on their websites. If you ever introduce Johne's into your herd, you'll wish to h*ll you had tested. There was a reason she was at the sale barn. I've never known anyone who walked through their herd and picked out their best cow to take to the sale barn. I ended up with Johne's through a Registered cow, purchased as a yearling, from a reputable registered herd. I've spent close to $1,000 in testing and am not done. I truly feel testing for Johne's is more important than any vaccine or worming at this point. Knowing what I now know, there is absolutely no way ever I'd buy a cow at a sale barn. I wouldn't even let her load in my trailer.

MLV is good for 12 months after that get their initial immunity. It may be longer, but that is all they will claim. In the "dog world", breeders are recommending doing complete puppy to adult vaccines, then they are good for life (some breeders).
I vaccinate new calves at 3 months, 4 months, then about 1 month after weaning. Then, once a year at least 30 days prior to breeding (imperative that it is AT LEAST 30 days prior to breeding).

Latest posts