Sage grass

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I had taken soil samples on some of my pastures. Needed to lime then to adjust the PH of the soil.

Before I lime the fields they had alot of sage grass. After I lime the fields. A year or so later the sage grass was gone. About 3 years latter the sage grass was back.

Last fall I drilled 40 acres of thoes pastures in winter wheat. Taken soil samples before i did exspecting it the PH to be off because of the sage grass that had came back.

PH was ok. Soil sample recommend so many lbs of fertilizer along with pot ash ? Was surprised about that.

I drilled my wheat, applied the reccomend fertilizer/pot ash mix. Had a good stand of wheat.

This summer the sage grass is gone. Up until now i just always assumed the reason a pasture with sage grass was because the PH was off and needed lime.

Learned thats not always the case. Sometimes it is lacking in someting else like pot ash in my case. And it didn't need that many lbs per acre either.

I know of hay fields that hasn't never been limed for as long as I can ever remember ? Don't understand how it has been able to go that long like that.

Talked to the owner and he says other than fertilizer thats all he has ever had to put on it. And there has been alot of hat both cut and grazed off it.

Latest posts