Safe slope to be on with tractor?

Help Support CattleToday:

I watched a D8 get sideways on a real steep highway embankment before and it gains speed as it gets going down. Operator went for quite a ride on that one, didn't fetch up though.

A tractor manufacturer isn't going to list X slope is acceptable, they are just going to give you a broad warning to buckle up and stay off slopes.

Really it just gets to a point you're going that slow its hardly worth doing sideways anyways.

kenny thomas":19ycaaik said:
As Bigfoot says its all in the tractor and whats on it. I have a Ford 4630 4x4 with smaller size tires so the tractor is closer to the ground. I don't hardly ever get scared on it. I also have a Kubota 4x4 100hp with a cab and it puts the seat up so high I get scared real easy.
I turned over a David Brown when I was 15 or so. But it wasn't steep, I was just stupid.
If the baler turned over without hitting something or dropping in a hole it was definitely too steep to be on sideways.

I remember the tractor if it is the same one, it was either a 770 or 880. That would be a good tractor to restore if it is still around. Those DBs were good tractors.

I learned to drive on a MF65, Fordson Major diesel and Fordson Dextra. I thought about getting one to restore, but it is easy to get more in one than they are worth.

jltrent":2z2egosn said:
Here is a video of how easy it is to turn a tractor over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8F-Y2w_3eo

To be fair, that tractor wouldn't have tipped if they didn't dig that big hole. It has the wheels at the narrowest setting too. They had to make an effort to turn it over.

One of these is a good addition to any tractor.. It's just a static reading though, not something to rely on 100%. It won't account for that big rock or stump hole waiting for you.

20* is as far as I will go with our tractors.. The DOT does some amazing slopes, but they have their wheels adjusted all the way out and extra ballast to keep the rubber down.

s-l300.jpg

It depends on the tractor and which direction you are going. On the 4wd 5510 which has the rears set out 8ft and front 7.5 ft if I am backing down and pulling up I am fine as long as I do not have to steer with the brakes. On a side hill I am not nearly as brave.

Lately my decision point has been if looking at it makes me pucker up I don;t do it.

You can buy angle meters like that at boat shops that sell sailboat supplies. Never thought of putting one in the tractor.

Hope that doesn't include kissing a pretty girl!

Wheel spacing is EVERYTHING if you're going to be doing sidehills, the rears in particular!... Some tractors are inherently less stable too (MF165's, or anything with row crop tires)

On a 60HPish tractor, you gotta have your wheels out AT LEAST 6' CENTER to think about doing any kind of slope. Bigger tractors will need wider since they are higher

If you have seatbelts wear them(with a roll bar) in any questionable slope.

Rolling that tractor in the clip is more of a stunt.

Wheels all the way out, fluid in tires, no fel, but front weights on a 100 hp tractor. Hard to turn over unless there is a nut behind the wheel.

Margonme":xxcn0v05 said:

Wheels all the way out, fluid in tires, no fel, but front weights on a 100 hp tractor. Hard to turn over unless there is a nut behind the wheel.

My son not thinking about swinging the boom up hill while climbing a rise. That's the 3rd time in 10 years for the hoe.

True Grit Farms":1ac3cmyc said:
Margonme":1ac3cmyc said:

My son not thinking about swinging the boom up hill while climbing a rise. That's the 3rd time in 10 years for the hoe.

Same concept with a tractor and FEL bucket full of material on a slope. Leverage!

Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.
Archimedes of Syracuse

PS: I wish I had a YouTube clip of a guy that mows a hill just off US 62 between Mt. Olivet and Maysville. It is so steep, I don't think I could stand up on it. I would like to know the per cent slope of that hill. There are some amazing displays of how steep a slope you can run a tractor on. It is extremely rare that I hear of a tractor being turned over. But keep in mind, we are hillbillies.

Lots of factors but weight makes all the difference. Good ballast is key, can run our McCormick mc115 on some pretty good ones. Tires set wide with 2 sets of weights and rear tires filled. I take the loader off on some of our really steep ground. Having something heavy on the drawbar to keep the a$$ planted like discbine or baler certainly helps. Something like the rake or tedder makes it a little hairier. 4wd on and finger usually on the diff lock switch to turn on and off as needed. Really helps in the tricky spots to keep from sliding on the hill but you better be ready to turn it off if you need to steer at all. Just have to know how to push the limits without getting over confident...

Cucumber35":yaz27a8d said:
Lots of factors but weight makes all the difference. Good ballast is key, can run our McCormick mc115 on some pretty good ones. Tires set wide with 2 sets of weights and rear tires filled. I take the loader off on some of our really steep ground. Having something heavy on the drawbar to keep the a$$ planted like discbine or baler certainly helps. Something like the rake or tedder makes it a little hairier. 4wd on and finger usually on the diff lock switch to turn on and off as needed. Really helps in the tricky spots to keep from sliding on the hill but you better be ready to turn it off if you need to steer at all. Just have to know how to push the limits without getting over confident...

I agree. There are lots of factors. Some of the contractor bushhog operators here run their wheels out as far as possible. Then on the back mount another wheel. The weight of the fluid with that low a center of gravity makes for a difficult job turning it over.

Why do you not quit farming the hills and let nature have some of the land for its own use. Is it the fact that man thinks that every thing out there is his to conquer.

Latest posts