Sad things like this happen

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commercialfarmer":3bwlfa6u said:
Are you serious?

Nope its all a huge joke and no cattle were ever harmed during this documentry! It was for educational purposes only.. :clap:

I agree... It's sad. Sad when totally ignorant people try to destroy an entire industry by using a few examples taken out of context.
I didn't see anything in that video that was out of line with good stockmanship. The problem is that most people are ignorant to livestock and so some necesary evils look barbaric when there really is no other viable alternative .

cow pollinater":27wsk9yq said:
I agree... It's sad. Sad when totally ignorant people try to destroy an entire industry by using a few examples taken out of context.
I didn't see anything in that video that was out of line with good stockmanship. The problem is that most people are ignorant to livestock and so some necesary evils look barbaric when there really is no other viable alternative .

Your enitled to your opinions but if I seen that being done in front of me I would whoop a man's azz! The fact stands that if they didnt let the animals get like that they wouldnt be using a skid to get them up. Thats poor caring for your cattle.

Arkansas":298icyxc said:
cow pollinater":298icyxc said:

Your enitled to your opinions but if I seen that being done in front of me I would whoop a man's azz! The fact stands that if they didnt let the animals get like that they wouldnt be using a skid to get them up. Thats poor caring for your cattle.

Dairy cattle can go from getting along just fine to non-ambulatory in a matter of a few days. The only option to avoid downers is to kill everything that looks a little off and even then a few will get by you. Modern dairies have cripple pens specifically designed to care for these cows but the ones that don't respond have to be destroyed. If they have to be destroyed then the meat should be put to good use.
If you have a problem with a skid moving cows, then explain how you would go about moving an eighteen hundred pound animal that can't stand up? We've spent tons of money coming up with new solutions as an industry and a bucket is still the easiest on the animal.

Arkansas":ei18ps08 said:
cow pollinater":ei18ps08 said:

You need to find out the "why" of the things you saw. I saw nothing wrong either. Dairy cattle do work hard but they get treated like royalty 99% of the time. Noone wants to willingly hurt or even lose a cow. As for the ass whipping. All I can say is that might work in HS or with some candy ass college kids but don't mess with a man. You'll get your ass handed to you in a hardbeat. That applies to most beef cattle owners as well.

I would actually like to show this video to a few guys that I've yelled at in the past and tell them "this is how you use a hotshot on a lame cow". That guy knew just when to encourage and when to lay off.

I would like to stick that Hotshot some where the sun dont shine and give it a few jolts myself on you :roll:

It's your butt, do whatever you want with it. Since it's "on me" I'm asuming you want to borrow my hotshot?

cow pollinater":30pxz24h said:

Well said cow pollinator

chippie":3c4pbiwe said:
Arkansas, looking at your armpits is not a good thing.

I changed it, seems to be getting to many comments..lol :cowboy:

chippie":3sdluzmf said:
cow pollinater":3sdluzmf said:

Well said cow pollinator
I totally agree.
A perfectly healthy cow can go down & be paralized just during calving - happens to good healthy BEEF cows. Have a friend that purchased a high quality high dollar beef cow. Found her down in the lot on frozen concrete. Loaded her up in the skidsteer hauled her to a well bedded barn. Treated for a week & got her up & going. After a week of being down, she looked like death warmed over, but she is healthy & raising calves now. Skidsteer ride saved her life. If he had shipped her shortly after her recovery, she would have been a thin, weak legged cow going thru the sale.

Trying to figure out how to say this without sounding like I'm defending an idiot, cause I'm not and he is an idiot.

Chippie, your avatar is also kind of freaky. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts