Sad lookin pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
I've been noticing in the pictures of cattle being posted, the pastures are a nice pretty green. Signs of good fertility and plenty of moisture. A huge contrast of what we are experiencing this year. Thought I'd post up some pictures of some sad looking pasture.
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

Vet: most years at this time it looks like that here. We have gone 2 week without rain the pastures are starting to need water. Your pastures are not steep and rocky you could have that with dry pastures.
Hope you get some moisture soon. Hang in there, the grass will take off when it does rain.

Usually the dry time here is end of July to September. For us it showed up in late May this year so the next few weeks don't look promising. It has been raining around the area. Some folks have had some nice rain and others have not gotten any.

I do have some that look worse, they are a heavy red clay that runs into iron ore grave. Mostly near the creek that runs thru.

First picture is some coastal on sandy loam type soil. Second is blackland prarie with mostly kr-bluestem and some spotty bermuda and bahaia that is moving in. Third is also blackland prarie with common bermuda.

1982vett":1cdmj698 said:
I've been noticing in the pictures of cattle being posted, the pastures are a nice pretty green. Signs of good fertility and plenty of moisture. A huge contrast of what we are experiencing this year.

That's cause I haven't posted any pictures of my kindling this year. Seems I'm in the same boat as you. I've got one field that has nearly a hundred dollars an acre in fertilizer on it and I haven't cut it for hay yet. Thankfully the dog days are here and the humidity in the air is suffocating so maybe the cycle will end shortly.

no first cutting here yet either tho ive been getting a few showers lately.

1982vett":2pltdltj said:
I've been noticing in the pictures of cattle being posted, the pastures are a nice pretty green. Signs of good fertility and plenty of moisture. A huge contrast of what we are experiencing this year. Thought I'd post up some pictures of some sad looking pasture.
View attachment 2
View attachment 1
Our pastures look about the same here. What I am noticing about your pasture is that although you obviously have not had any rain they are still grazable. There is still plenty of nutrition in that grass. If it will just hold off long enough until you get rain. Proper stocking rate and grass management is important in order to get through times like this. My complements to you. And I hope you get rain soon. The hurricane brought us about an inch that was deeply appreciated.

That's what mine looked like in 2006. Fortunately, we have had the rain this year and the cows can't keep up. I feel your pain...

Well,
I guess we have trully been blessed here and am becoming more aware of it all the time!! I still have better than 30 acres untouched because we have so much!

In 2007 we had this somewhat as well, however I am lucky I guess having 40 acres of muck which just keeps going. I feel for you, however have never really had any experience.
Hope you can have rain soon!!

Ours haven't been that bad since 2003. Normally ours get to looking pretty rough come August, but nothing quite like that. We've had good rains all year, and the pastures look really good. Hope you get some rain soon.

So what is the alternative? Get rid of the all the cows? What I am talking about proper management is a stocking rate that prepares one for inclament weather. Nobody can prepare for a very long term drought, unless they sell out completely. Of course being able to predict the future would help.

Jogee, amazing how fast you can got to green to brown.  I remember the clover and turnip pastures you posted earlier in the year.  O for the good ole days.

Grannyso,  I wish my pastures would have look this good going into '06.  I got caught a bit off guard that year.  At the time, weed control was mostly  shredding them off.  I cut off a lot of good grass that year to get the weeds and then didn't get the moisture to get that flush of green grass.  Thankfully I had put up some of the best quality hay I have ever grown that spring.  Between the hay, the grass clippings in the pasture, and some timely rains on my oats in the fall, we came thru ok.  I've got some pasture that I would like to run a shredder over to clean it up but I am waiting on some rain before I do it this year.

Novatech, thanks for the complement on the pasture,  I made good use of the moisture we got last year to get them back into pretty good shape.  The pictures make them look better than they really are.  What looks like grass is mostly stem but that hint of green has held on longer than I would have thought.   Had to fix several waterleaks the past few weeks.  Those spots look like putting greens, so all we need is some moisture.  Hope you continue to get some rain, sooner or later it will make its way here.

Hr, wet and unable to bale was on us last year till August.  A good portion of what we baled got wet, was baled off wet ground, or was old and coarse. Baled a lot of hay, just nothing that would win a hay show.  Seems like the cows prefer stuff that was cut at the correct time and got wet over the old and coarse.  It doesn't seem right that to much rain can be as bad as to little.

Beefy,  hang tight, in 1996 majority of our haycrop was made between August and November.

man heres hoping yall get rain soon.we are getting some real high temps this week.i hope we get some rain soon.we still have some good pasture.

The pastures here in Wood County are going down very rapidly. It has been only three weeks since we had rain, but the last two weeks of hot dry weather has really down a number on the grass.

1982vett":2ilstefn said:
Jogee, amazing how fast you can got to green to brown. I remember the clover and turnip pastures you posted earlier in the year. O for the good ole days.

Those fields are now planted in millet and sorghum and are knee deep and gives me a new respect for their drought tolerance. Normally I would have already baled these once for baleage but I don't think I'll get anything but grazing this year. Bermuda and bahia are week to say the least. But the dog days are here and showers are everywhere. Maybe the world will turn green shortly.

We started feeding hay last week to keep condition on our bred cows. We have not had any significant rain in over 4 weeks and everything is brown and dry!

My has our country changed in the past two weeks - from lush green to starting to brown. 105 here yesterday afternoon and not a cloud in the sky. Looks like August came a couple of weeks early.

I have enough grass to get by as I have started stocking for dry years and buying stocker calves when I have surplus grass.

Last rain was in March...

...1982vett, that pasture looks pretty compared to what I look at in the back 40...

...on a positive note, we're getting plenty of exercise while packing irrigation pipes around the pasture this year.

DavisBeefmasters":3799gwdd said:
Last rain was in March...

...1982vett, that pasture looks pretty compared to what I look at in the back 40...

...on a positive note, we're getting plenty of exercise while packing irrigation pipes around the pasture this year.

Delivered some hay today to a place about 25 miles from here. Their pastures, well if it weren't for the gravel on the road it would have been hard to tell where the road stopped and the pasture started. Only thing growing was post oak and yaupon. Everyting else was rock with a little dirt and dried up stubble.

I sure hope you folks that need rain get it soon. i have been through a few of them dry spells, but we have been blessed with plenty of rain this year. Finished baling the last feld today it has rained so often it has made us late getting the hay all baled. But i am not complaining.

Latest posts