Ryegrass

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
Our winter pasture is pretty poor and I was wondering if ryegrass would be a good thing to beef it up. We don't have much equipment to plant so I figured ryegrass would be the easiest by just broadcasting it. Do you think this is a good idea or should I try something else. This is for about 50 acres.

If you have no other equipment, just broadcast it and chase the herd over that area a few times. Depending on your rain season, but if there is enough moisture late summer early fall will be your best bet.

In the southern hemisphere we like to pant late February early March. Up till mid April results are good, but later than that it takes very long to get your first graze.

I do a soil test and have it mixed with fert. and a little clover.
Also if you have bremuda be careful not to plant to thick as it can retard spring growth. You may want to plant an early matureing variety.
Glad to see you planing this far ahead.

novatech":l9aolvw7 said:
Also if you have bremuda be careful not to plant to thick as it can retard spring growth. You may want to plant an early matureing variety.

rhye has a very high nitrogen requirement to have high yields, I agree on the soil test, rather plant less rhye, but look after it properly.

Mixing with clover is prefered, but if you have no equipment and plant with the hoof method, clover is seldom satisfactory, at least in my experience.

KNERSIE":3gwr520f said:
novatech":3gwr520f said:

rhye has a very high nitrogen requirement to have high yields, I agree on the soil test, rather plant less rhye, but look after it properly.

Mixing with clover is prefered, but if you have no equipment and plant with the hoof method, clover is seldom satisfactory, at least in my experience.

Ditto on the clover. It is pricey and does much better on a seedbed or with a notill. That is why I said a little. My hope is that some will germinate and maybe reseed. You must select the right variety for this and get a little hard seed that may germinate in the next year. Maybe a shot in the dark, but I beleive in lagumes over fertilizer.

novatech":1bx80vqb said:
KNERSIE":1bx80vqb said:
novatech":1bx80vqb said:

Ditto on the clover. It is pricey and does much better on a seedbed or with a notill. That is why I said a little. My hope is that some will germinate and maybe reseed. You must select the right variety for this and get a little hard seed that may germinate in the next year. Maybe a shot in the dark, but I beleive in lagumes over fertilizer.

I have recently read an article where arrowleaf clover seed has been mixed into phosphate licks for the cattle for quite a few years now in some extensive area of SA. According to the writer and the photos published it work a treat to establish the clover over a wide area. The arrowleaf seed has a hard scale and the rumination process helps the germination, it also helps that it germinates in a pile of "fertilizer"

I have seen white clover planted this way (waverly), but its more luck than planned. Kikuyu seed plant itself well this way.

I tink it might be worth looking into depending on the price of the arrowleaf seed.

Thanks Knersie, Thats some great info. Arrowleaf is exactly what I plant. Better yet, it will spread over the intire place instead of just where I plant.
Do you think I could also mix this with mineral?

It is a cool season grass so you will probably look to plant no earlier than October 1st unless your in north Texas then maybe the last week of September. The broadcast will be slow to come up as well so you will likely not get any grazing out of it until late November or December. At least based on my experiences here in South Alabama

novatech":19k1d9r1 said:
Thanks Knersie, Thats some great info. Arrowleaf is exactly what I plant. Better yet, it will spread over the intire place instead of just where I plant.
Do you think I could also mix this with mineral?

I see no reason why not, unless the difference in particle size is too big so that the clover filters through to the bottom.

If this is the case why not mix it with a bit of molassses meal that is naturally sticky. Over here molasses meal is just about the cheapest form of energy. Or better yet mix some molasses meal into the mineral.

White Clover
White clover, a true perennial, is the most widely-grown clover in the United States. Where adapted, individual plants often live for several years. Ladino varieties of white clover are usually most productive, but generally do not reseed well. Intermediate white clover types are better reseeders and more persistent, but usually are less productive. White clover is tolerant of close grazing, which makes it a good choice for many pastures, but it is not well-suited for hay situations. Though widely adapted, it is best suited to soils which have good moisture-holding ability.

Red Clover
Red clover has excellent seedling vigor and larger seed than white clover, which facilitates drilling it into existing grass pastures. In many areas red clover plants can live for 2 years (and occasionally longer), but in the lower South it often acts as an annual. In areas where it is well adapted, it is the best-yielding clover species. It is often grazed, but is also well suited for use in hay situations. It is not tolerant of continuous close defoliation; rotational stocking is best. Red clover requires good soil moisture, but is not as tolerant of wet conditions as white clover.

ANNUALS

Arrowleaf Clover
Arrowleaf clover is a productive annual that makes most of its growth in late spring. It produces a high percentage of hard seed, which favors reseeding. The seed can germinate at lower temperatures than most annuals. It is usually grown in pastures, but can also be cut for hay (one cutting only). Arrowleaf/grass mixtures should be grazed enough to prevent the clover seedlings from being shaded by the grass. Arrowleaf clover requires well-drained soil.

Ball Clover
This winter annual is sometimes mistaken for white clover, but the blooms are smaller and more rounded. Although it can be quite productive, ball clover has a shorter growing season and often yields less than other commonly grown annual clovers. It is a prolific seed producer even under high stocking rates, and a high percentage of the seed are hard seed. Thus, it is an excellent reseeder. The primary period of growth is early to mid-spring. Ball clover is best suited to heavy soils, but is surprisingly well adapted to fairly dry sites as well.

Berseem Clover
Berseem clover is an annual which bears a superficial resemblance to alfalfa. If planted in autumn, most growth occurs in mid-spring. Within 100 miles of the Gulf Coast it often produces more autumn and winter forage than any other clover, but because it does not have good cold tolerance, production declines as it is planted farther north. Rotational stocking is the best way to utilize berseem clover pastures. This clover does not reseed well due to a low level of hard seed production. Unlike most commonly grown annual clovers, berseem clover is quite tolerant of wet soils and also alkaline soils.

Crimson Clover
Crimson clover is a dependable, productive annual which has larger seed and better seedling vigor than most clovers. Crimson clover makes more growth during cool weather than most clovers and is the earliest-maturing commonly grown clover species. Thus, in addition to forage production situations, it is often used as a winter cover and/or green manure crop. The showy crimson-colored blooms can provide a spectacular show in early to mid-spring. This clover should be planted on well-drained soils.

Rose Clover
Rose clover has a growth habit similar to crimson clover, but has lavender-colored blooms and makes most of its growth in mid-spring. It is one of the most tolerant clovers to drought and low fertility conditions. The most hardy variety has similar winter hardiness to arrowleaf clover or crimson clover, but varieties often grown in western states are much less cold tolerant. Rose clover produces many hard seeds, and reseeding is often good. It is best suited to well-drained soils, and is most popular in certain low rainfall areas of central Oklahoma, north central Texas, and California.

Subterranean Clover
Subterranean clover is a dense, low-growing annual best suited to areas having mild winters. It makes most of its growth in mid-spring. Subterranean clover does not yield as well as arrowleaf clover, berseem clover, or crimson clover, but can produce seed under heavy grazing pressure. However, success in obtaining reseeded stands varies depending on environmental conditions at seed maturation. Subterranean clover is more tolerant of low fertility and shade than most clovers. It is best adapted to medium and heavy textured soils with good moisture-holding capacity.

Final Thoughts

A good way to determine the usefulness of various clovers in a given situation is to simply purchase some seed and make trial plantings. Small test plantings are inexpensive and can provide much insight that can help with species selection decisions in future years.

However, it is important to make certain that any such test plantings give the clovers a fair chance. The soil pH and fertility needs of the clovers should be met, the seed should be inoculated with good quality inoculum of the proper type, and the seed should be planted properly at the recommended time, rate, and depth.

Varieties within a clover species can vary considerably with regard to yield, disease resistance, winterhardiness, and other factors. Thus, once a decision has been made as to which clover species to plant, selection of the most suitable variety can mean the difference between good and poor results, University variety trial reports are the best sources of unbiased variety information.

Subterranean Clover

Also the seeds bury themselves so saving replanting and this make them a perrenial -thats what the name means

KenB":3jtjbq5l said:
MikeC,
Thanks for the info on clover.

If you want early forage you can mix in 2# of brassica with the annual ryegrass. THis will give you something to graze in 40 days (depending on weather) after planting. M.S.U. has been doing a lot of work with a product call Pasja Brassica mixed Annual ryegrass and have been very successful. MSU was able to get over 4lbs of gain per day per animal from Nov. through Feb. last year. If you 'd like to learn more contact Jimmy Ray (his email is below)

[email protected]

Latest posts