Seeding ryegrass this fall

Help Support CattleToday:

Some of us don't have the big wad of cash that you do, I'm afraid to even call and ask for current fertilizer prices.:oops:
The way I see it , at least on my ground planting winter grass without fertilizer would be a waste of the cash pile. We're fortunate to have a climate that allows us to have grazing year round. It pays to feed the grass that feeds the cows.

The way I see it , at least on my ground planting winter grass without fertilizer would be a waste of the cash pile. We're fortunate to have a climate that allows us to have grazing year round. It pays to feed the grass that feeds the cows.
Fence, are you saying that sometimes it pays to spend money? In my area spraying for weeds is a big deal and one of my biggest expenses. It's funny to me how those that spray can always afford to spray and those that don't can never afford to.

I've fertilized in the past and didn't see the benefits but it's time to go back and try again on several pastures.

Did you use cereal rye or ryegrass? If you planted cereal rye, the rate was way too low.
That all depends on why you're planting it. If I was gonna bale it for silage yeah probably, for winter stockpile, the cows are swimming in it.
And i highly recommend crimson clover to anyone who hasn't used it, go easy on it and it's here all winter. Give it a chance to seed out late spring and it will come back in some without reseed.

Fence, are you saying that sometimes it pays to spend money? In my area spraying for weeds is a big deal and one of my biggest expenses. It's funny to me how those that spray can always afford to spray and those that don't can never afford to.

I've fertilized in the past and didn't see the benefits but it's time to go back and try again on several pastures.
Lime and triple 19 made my weeds disappear.

Lime and triple 19 made my weeds disappear.
Stouter ground definitely helps with weed control. I have a Western ragweed, goat weed, and cocklebur problem. About got the western ragweed knocked out but the goatweeds and cockleburs seem to be a never ending issue.

Get your weeds under control before you spend on fertilizer. Otherwise you are just feeding them. Any good quality herbicide applied correctly at the right time should take care of the weeds mentioned.
Herbicide is by far the best bang for the buck for pasture improvement.

Get your weeds under control before you spend on fertilizer. Otherwise you are just feeding them. Any good quality herbicide applied correctly at the right time should take care of the weeds mentioned.
Take care of targeted weeds permanently or for that year?

I spot spray thistle. That is it. Mowing at the right time and getting soil right got rid of them for me. Fescue overtook the weeds and displaced them

Get a soil test. With triple 19, you may be spending money you don't need to.
My soil needs everything. It has had a great effect on my grass.

I have been running an experiment on two 50 acre sections. One side 200 pounds of triple 19 in the spring. One side no fertilizer but that is where I feed hay in the winter. The triple 19 side is beautiful right now.

The other side's grass is OK, and getting better, but is taking a long time. Still has lots of weeds.

I did lime everything to overcome highly acidic soil to a ph of 6 to 6.5

My soil needs everything. It has had a great effect on my grass.

I have been running an experiment on two 50 acre sections. One side 200 pounds of triple 19 in the spring. One side no fertilizer but that is where I feed hay in the winter. The triple 19 side is beautiful right now.

The other side's grass is OK, and getting better, but is taking a long time. Still has lots of weeds.

I did lime everything to overcome highly acidic soil to a ph of 6 to 6.5
How deficient are you on P and K?

Latest posts