Ryegrass

Help Support CattleToday:

redlevel

Reaction score
I planted only ryegrass for winter grazing this year. Right now, I have a whole lot more grass than cows. I have about 15 acres about this stage of growth, and only 21 dry brood cows. It has all been grazed to the ground twice since mid-October planting. I put down about 40 units of N at planting, then another 40-50 units mid January on some, and mid February on some. We had some 80+ degree days in Feb, and then more in March. Some is planted in a "plantation stand" of pines. I will probably let that go to seed, hoping for re-seeding in the fall. The grass in the picture is over seeded into Russell Bermuda, and really needs to be grazed close, so as not to suppress the Bermuda. I will probably end up having to mow real close. 100 miles South of Atlanta.32B39995-665B-4812-B164-387298C13FF6.jpeg

I generally don't put out alot of fertilizer this time of year for that reason, this time of year there's an abundance of grass until about mid June and generally having to clip grass so it don't get overgrown. That grass looks great though.

Nice grass and cattle. My girls are licking their chops looking at the green across the pond from them. Maybe next week?

Have been disappointed in the rye I planted last fall. Didn't have much moisture for a month or so after we planted so didn't expect much growth. It's not really done much this spring yet and it was fertilized last fall when it was put on. I expected to see what is in your picture, instead it's hanging out around 4-5 inches at best.

Clover on the other hand is going gangbusters.

Latest posts