Rye grass sowing.

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Guys a little advice. Time poor versus getting the job done.

Last year I sowed annual ryegrass into a paddock. It's autum sowing season now. The paddock has been grazed out hard and just has a cover of annual, summer weed.

Do I stick to the plan with extra work and cultivate twice then broadcast my seed in before harrow drag it in or do I harraw drag then broadcast without working and harrow again to save the act of cultivation? Life is busy and I am unsure if do less work will bite me. We have great moisture.

This year is a perennial the and I won't spray with herbicide for a little more info.

I drilled Jumbo Rye (and packed) into a cultivated and leveled field. Had super results, very high germination, in the fall of the year when the weather cooled down and before the rains started.

A prepared seedbed that promotes good seed to soil contact will always out perform a no-till broadcast. I have never gave it much thought but I think the loose soil will absorb more moisture for germination compared to packer pasture. We have to be careful with any soil tillage and grazing due to the softer soil and plugging with hooves.

Latest posts