Rye grass distribution

Help Support CattleToday:

arkcowman":3sdvlc2y said:
How many pounds of rye per acre for broadcasting ?

I drill 25-40 lbs in plowed ground and 35-40 lbs. when sod-seeding.

You might want to put 50 lbs if you are broadcasting in grass stubble.

C HOLLAND":25yqmoeo said:
Mike, what are you paying per bag, it's 13$ here and hard to find.

If you can get gulf ryegrass (fresh seed, not last years) for $13, I will be there first thing in the morning for 100 bags. Just tell me where??????????????????????????

Ark,

I broadcast 50lb/acre and I just bush hog my millet field and let it dry for 10 days then cut it in with my disk set almost straight. Last year I did 5 acres after my Bahia field was cut and rolled and I just broadcast it and cut it in with the disk straight. This was the best field I have ever had.

hope this helps

Last Sunday I broadcast seeded rye at 50# per acre (about 1 bushel worth) on a freshly tilled pasture and then I ran a harrow drag over the top. On another 20 acre pasture (previously seeded) I plan to rotary cut and then broadcast seed again at 50# per acre and plan to harrow drag over the top.

C HOLLAND":2pb4o00d said:
Well what do you call that

"Rye" and "Ryegrass" are totally different.

"Rye" was perpetuated as more of a grain crop, but it does a good job as a forage.

"Ryegrass" is more of a forage.

Rye is more like wheat and ryegrass is more like a grass. Both are good and you can plant both together.

From what i read ryegrass should be planted at 25 pounds to the acre for over seed. But what y'all are saying that is to low a rate.
I got rye grass seed lined up for $22.50 a bag what are y'all paying and for what kind?

I plant rye (not ryegrass) on my pastures here in eastern Oregon. It provides good livestock forage at a much lower price (paid 20 cents per pound for the rye - which is less than half the cost of ryegrass seed.)

For a first planting I use 50 lbs/acre rate. If you are just broadcast overseeding you could use less (maybe the 25 lb/acre you mentioned); however, I would definitely harrow drag it afterwards to get good seed to soil contact since the growth yield of broadcast seeding is gnerally not as good as seed drilling.

Sorry Mike,

I thought you were talking about winter rye. That along with oats is all I ever plant in the fall for forage. Last year i had a 2 acre (deer plot) field of oats and me and the wife cut and raked it by hand and the cows went nuts over the stuff.

Mike, I have an excuse, I am an OLD ROOKIE,,,,,

I plant 50 lbs. of RYEGRASS per acre, and broadcast it with a spreader buggy from the local feed mill. Will be planting mine in 2 weeks; already got some "generic" tetraploid reserved.

Two options we use around here. One is to clip the pasture before (very low) and then broadcast. The other is to broadcast and then clip. Not sure which one works out better, but without clipping I have never got as good of results.

arkcowman":1ceyqoou said:
Can I also intermix some fertilizer with the Ryegrass seed when broadcast spreading or do I not want to do it this way ?

Only problem I see with it is putting out the correct amount of each the seed and fertilizer.

The heavier matter in the hopper will tend to sift the lighter particles to the top.

The lighter ryegrass seeds will not be thrown as far as the heaver fertilizer particles so you will have to adjust your bandwidth and over lap some of the fertilizer. Now for planting rye it should work better with the heaver denser Rye seed.

I've only seen one problem with fertilizing at same time as seeding into non-dormant grass. Seems that the grass gets going well form the fertilizer and shades out the seedlings nad we didn;t get the kind of stand or growth from the seeded stuff as I had hoped.
Seeding into dormant grass didn't have the same negative affect.

dun

We've had success with fertilizing after getting a good stand of ryegrass. Too soon, and as Dun says, you run the risk of helping non-wanted plants and reduce the effect the fertilizer was intended for.

This weekend I bought ryegrass seed for $23.00 / 50# and feed oats for $6.55 / 50#. We will plant the ryegrass at 50# per acre with a drill and the oats at 90# per acre with the drill. Fertilize when the plants are between 1-2 inches tall @ 300# per acre of same fertilizer recomended on spring soil tests. I wanted to also mix in some turnip and clover seed but still don't have a good way of planting it since we don't have a clover box on the drill.

Latest posts