RX3 Cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P

Reaction score
Recent discussion on another list regarding Choctaw Chief 373 reminded me of the RX3 composite, developed by Pioneer Cattle Co., back in the 70s; 1/4 Hereford, 1/4 Red Holstein, 1/4 Red Angus.
Don't guess I heard of them until sometime in the mid- to late '90s, and haven't heard anything about them in years; being a 'red cow man' at heart, I was always intrigued with them, and would have liked to have tried some. I think there are still a few RX3 breeders scattered here and there; heard from a guy in Iowa some years back whose dad was still breeding them.

Anybody here had any experience with them - or even seen any?

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/rx3/index.htm

a web search only turns up old stuff.

did find this but the number is disconnected.

American RX3 Cattle Registry, (800) 215-0763

also found

Mid America RX3 Cattle Co.
Mid America RX3 Cattle Co., HC 75, Box 158, Sturgis, SD 57785
Phone: (605)347-3319; (800) 215-0763
FAX: (605)347-2207
800 number is the same as above did not try others

this number does not work either. It does just not RX3
American RX3 Cattle Registry, 800-278-8535

I think I might have exchanged an email with you a few years back. I think my father still has a few aged RX3 in the group here in Iowa, I say group because herd would imply large numbers. Due to his age my father has been reducing the number of cows he has and due to lack of RX3 genetics he has brought in some black and other genetics.

But current situation is after working for years off the farm my family and I are returning home this spring to work full time with my parents and transition into managment over the next few years. One of my priorities is to get a hold of some of those old contacts that he has had in the RX3 world, see what the situation is. These might turn out to be "remember us" calls with no fruit but I will give it a shot. Maybe it is nostagic for me, I rememember tagging along to many RX3 meetings out west as a kid, and the group of folks involved were top notch. I have a lot to learn and relearn as the ag industry has changed much in the last few years.

Lets keep in contact, if I find out anything I will let you know.

A rancher at Terry Mt. had RX3 cattle 25-30 years ago. They got big milked well but just took to much feed and were not efficient enough for this range country. Don't think they ever got enough of them to call them a breed,so they were just breeding composite to composite, Mcneil at the station at Mile City may be able to give more information.

Oops. Missed my mistake, Boss. (Wish there was an 'edit' feature on this board.)
They were 1/2 Red Angus(from Choctaw Chief 373 and direct sons of 373), 1/4 Hereford, 1/4 Red Holstein.

They work pretty well in kinder country I'd think. Old 373 was quite a bull for his day I still have his picture in my archives.

a feller I occasionally sell bulls to bought a group of them in the early 2000's, hardest doing ill bred looking things on his place (and that was against some pretty stiff competition!) their calves looked decent but there was no way on earth they were going to get bred back again. As of about 4 years ago there were none left.

Latest posts