Rusk Mental Institution

Help Support CattleToday:

Mr TC is making a list of everything we should buy. But primarily because his RMD kicks in next year and we need to offset. I've told him flat out I'm ready for a new truck! He did talk to our Polaris dealer last week about the new Polaris Ranger 1500 Northstar. Ummmm, HELL NO! Regardless of the circumstances, we can't bring ourselves to pay $50,499 for a UTV that will be covered in coy shyt within a week. Okay, that was the crew cab but still . . .
The utility vehicles have gotten stupid priced.
It's become a big time sport, you see some high dollar machines here going to tracks.
There are several tracks over here for them to try and tear up machines on. Go figure.
A utility vehicle for construction or farm work is hard to find.
You can find the golf cart version for the neighborhood, or the hunting version in camo winch and it will wisely run 60 or 70 mph through pine forests.
We have organ donors every year, mostly kids off some deer lease.

Bought my 100 acres farm for $60,000. Paid over $70,000 for my new 21 RAM truck.
I could have bought the 250 acres across the road from me for 400 an acre with virgin timber! I thought they were nuts! I could have bought it three years ago cut over for 1800 an acre. Had the cash but no desire to take on that cleanup.
Today it's worth 10k an acre.

The utility vehicles have gotten stupid priced.
It's become a big time sport, you see some high dollar machines here going to tracks.
There are several tracks over here for them to try and tear up machines on. Go figure.
A utility vehicle for construction or farm work is hard to find.
You can find the golf cart version for the neighborhood, or the hunting version in camo winch and it will wisely run 60 or 70 mph through pine forests.
We have organ donors every year, mostly kids off some deer lease.
Kansas is now imposing a property tax on UTV's unless you get an exemption for farm/ranch work only (which we have). Too many weekend warriors buying ridiculously expensive Razors & pimped-out UTV's for a good time.

I admit I like the additional power in the utv line up.

They have ones now that are basically dune buggies that are only for sport. They go insanely fast.

If we are on hard packed ground it doesn't take a lot of motor. The old mules or 570 rangers so fine. Especially in the single bench seat.

If we go down south in all that sand and start loading up 4 seaters, those 1000cc motors like in the Can Ams make a big difference. That's why I am excited to see the 1000 Mule Pro.

The prices are getting crazy though now. The days of them trying to unload inventory are gone now also and don't appear to be coming back. This new system is not going to help the buyer I'm afraid. That's for vehicles, sxs, boats, etc.

Bought our first small home in Minnesota in 1975. It came with 40 acres and a small barn for $25,000. I was feeling pretty good about the purchase, until I checked out the records at the court house and found it sold a few years earlier for $4,000. I would have been too young to have bought it then, but I still wondered if I over paid. Bought and sold several farms and ranches since. Our 925 acre ranch in Oregon was purchased in 1990 for less than $400 an acre. Over my lifetime, land had always been the safest investment, but I am questioning whether that is still true. In the past farm and ranch land was priced based on the market for the crops or livestock that could be raised there. Nowadays it is mostly bought by wealthy investors gambling on it going even higher with little regard for what it is actually able to produce in revenue year to year. Farmers and ranchers can't afford the land without a good job in another field. Have we reached a point where this will all come tumbling down?

I came close to buying an old house and 160 acres of land with good soils in Rush county Kansas in the fall of 2021 for 320k. House needed more work than I expected and I backed out unfortunately.

We live in a bizarre world. This video makes some crazy points about farmland and the carbon scam. Around the six minute mark he talks about how taking land out of ag production is used for carbon offsets.

Enough negative. But I'm wondering what opportunities will arise from this craziness.

Last edited:
I came close to buying an old house and 160 acres of land with good soils in the fall of 2021 for 320k. House needed more work than I expected and I backed out unfortunately.

We live in a bizarre world. This video makes some crazy points about farmland and the carbon scam. Around the six minute mark he talks about how taking land out of ag production is used for carbon offsets.

The right kinds of grass can sequester as much carbon as forests...

I came close to buying an old house and 160 acres of land with good soils in Rush county Kansas in the fall of 2021 for 320k. House needed more work than I expected and I backed out unfortunately.

That was slightly scary farming policy for the UK post brexit is a mess but it appears so is the EU policy now as well, politicians don't know what to do, they're snared by the climate ideology. With bereaucrats in charge of the direction of farming the future doesn't seem bright at all honestly to me it looks very dim so thats why we have decided to turn a fifth of our land to solar panels to cover all bases, they'll be there for 40 years and then ripped out, which could be how long the insanity lasts.

Mr TC is making a list of everything we should buy. But primarily because his RMD kicks in next year and we need to offset. I've told him flat out I'm ready for a new truck! He did talk to our Polaris dealer last week about the new Polaris Ranger 1500 Northstar. Ummmm, HELL NO! Regardless of the circumstances, we can't bring ourselves to pay $50,499 for a UTV that will be covered in coy shyt within a week. Okay, that was the crew cab but still . . .
Around here there are only two brands I would consider and that's Kawasaki and Polaris.
They own the market around here.
Mahindra has a new one out called Roxor or something like that. Pretty impressive for the price, diesel power train as well! Just never talked with a buyer they are so new here.

My buddy Robert bought one and they look just like a Jeep but they are heavy and don't get around in the woods very well.
It's a diesel and I believe you can crank it up to about 105 horsepower so it's a pulling monster but as far as mud it just gets stuck.
It shows them weighing #3000. Most utvs are half that. That will make a big difference in off road ability.

Around here there are only two brands I would consider and that's Kawasaki and Polaris.
They own the market around here.
Mahindra has a new one out called Roxor or something like that. Pretty impressive for the price, diesel power train as well! Just never talked with a buyer they are so new here.
Don't know about other diesel brands, but Hustler came out with a diesel UTV (5 years ago, maybe?) and our Polaris dealer also sells Hustler, let us try one out for a few weeks. Hated it!! Loud, heavy, and the diesel fumes made me want to gag. Plus, stripped down with very few features for the same price as a loaded Ranger.

Latest posts