Round 4 with the hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
I haven't seen hide nor hair of a hog in over a year. The little terrorists are back. Back in a big way. Got the traps out. Neighbor's place looks like its been through a bombing raid.

You keep them. They have left me alone for the last three months.
You can bet that they will show back up about the time to cut a hay field and it will look like it has been carpet bombed.

Caught an old sow and 6pigs in one trap.Pigs we're probably around 15lb a piece.
Would that be called 6n1?
Use soured corn and and a little deisel fuel hogs love it and the deer and coon stay away from it.

Cal

Cal, What do you do with these hogs. Butcher, turn them loose over at Crouders ?

kerley":358fr350 said:
Cal, What do you do with these hogs. Butcher, turn them loose over at Crouders ?

Kerley i'll put it this way, none of them leave my place alive.Those that are edible wind up in the freezer and those not, are yote and buzzard feed.

Cal

Thats kinda what I figured. I could not imagine that much wild pork in the freezer.

Before I got on CT, I had no idea of the problem some states face r.e. hogs. And I am curious: Has there ever been an organized effort to eliminate them? If there was, why did it fail? I know hogs are reproductively efficient, giving 10 per litter (more or less) in domesticated situations. So if one pair survive, you can do the math. Or is it the terrain--the amount of woodlands and rough lands (uncultivated) that makes it so hard to control them?
Second question: How hard would it be to put some of these rooters on the lawn of PETA headquarters?

john250":2gac8yt5 said:
Before I got on CT, I had no idea of the problem some states face r.e. hogs. And I am curious: Has there ever been an organized effort to eliminate them? If there was, why did it fail? I know hogs are reproductively efficient, giving 10 per litter (more or less) in domesticated situations. So if one pair survive, you can do the math. Or is it the terrain--the amount of woodlands and rough lands (uncultivated) that makes it so hard to control them?
Second question: How hard would it be to put some of these rooters on the lawn of PETA headquarters?

I don't think there has ever been a coordinated effort and yes, the amount of rough land in Texas would make it very difficult to eradicate them. They are truly a menace. Also, Texas is predominantly private property, as opposed to government land, so a coordinated effort would be very difficult to coordinate and conduct. Most folks just tend to them on an individual basis like BHB is doing.

Nice thought about the PETA lawn. Let us know how that works out. :)

kerley":1nnhejcg said:
Thats kinda what I figured. I could not imagine that much wild pork in the freezer.

I don't have that much in my freezer, just enough to do me. I have several friends who also like the taste of wild pork.

Cal

skyline":1i7av1vb said:
john250":1i7av1vb said:

I don't think there has ever been a coordinated effort and yes, the amount of rough land in Texas would make it very difficult to eradicate them. They are truly a menace. Also, Texas is predominantly private property, as opposed to government land, so a coordinated effort would be very difficult to coordinate and conduct. Most folks just tend to them on an individual basis like BHB is doing.

Nice thought about the PETA lawn. Let us know how that works out. :)

There was a picture taken a couple of years ago near George's Creek. There were 150 plus detected hogs in the pic. There were probably atleast that many pigs that you couldn't see for the tall grass. It was a day time pic - late one evening. The gubnant boys were called in for that one from what I understand.

They also got into a cemetery and did some serious damage. If you haven't seen what they can do, it does indeed look like a pasture has been carpet bombed. They wrecked out some very old tombstones. That got attention too.

Hogs are an epidemic. Some fool at a game preserve brought in Russain boar and crossed it with domestics. That is what got us where we are. No fence will hold them. Cow panels wont hold them. They can cross six foot fence. The only thing I have had any luck with is the sheep panels that are 5 feet tall, 4 inch grid, and you have to put a top on the pen. If you don't put a top on it, you'll see where the term "riding piggy back" comes from. Pigs and shoats will jump onto the back of full grown hogs and then try to jump out of the pens. I have once now seen them three deep but that was only briefly.

They are good eating. But a person can only eat so many of them. When you catch over 40 in a weeks time, you are begging friends to take them off of your hands.

Calman my record in 12 in one trap. 10 little pigs and 2 shoats. I figure the ten pigs were in there and under the trip wire. The shoats ran in for corn and one of them tripped the trap.

I have sat next to cattle feeders at one of the places we hunt and counted 86 hogs when we first started hunting it. :shock: Imagine if you were trying to feed your cattle and 86 hogs came in behind you and were crawling into you troughs eating the feed... :x

I kinda get amused at some of the questions asked by northeners about wild hogs.Of course if ya don't have them you would be curious. Some seem to think they look for you and come after you.
Now as the rule a hog has seen you before you see it and has already left.But if you happen to come upon an old sow with little pigs,thats totally a different ball game.You better have a large caliber weapon or be fast on your feet.However she won't run very far away from her little pigs.
Now on the other hand when ther's an ol sow around a group in heat,The ol boars are fighting to get to her and will attack you as well as another boar.
I have known of instances where a boar would put you up a tree and keep you there for a long while.
They will wander off in the brush and about the time you think they left and start to climb down they come charging back out of the brush.
But on the other hand I have never heard of anyone around here getting killed by a wild hog.
Sometime somewhere it's probably happend.I sure wouldnt want to get down with a broken limb and couldnt get back to my vehicle.
It boils down to, these are domestic hogs that have adapted to the wild and are good at it.

Cal

There's 5 in one trap this a.m.

If I can do that every day for a month, I'll knock a good dent in them, for now.

George's Creek....is that out off Hwy 67 between Cleburne and Glen Rose? If so I've been to that cemetery. Some kind of big mining operation out there.

TexasBred":1v5b776e said:
George's Creek....is that out off Hwy 67 between Cleburne and Glen Rose? If so I've been to that cemetery. Some kind of big mining operation out there.

That's the one. Several mining operations. Ingram quarries gravel, Lattimere also quarries Gravel. Then there is the lime plant too not far.

john250":2zcrmxph said:

Typical hog country.
IMG_1320.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1311.jpg

john250":1m4wrltr said:

Talking with the Texas PWD biologist he said if you had 100 hogs you would have to kill 76 to stay at a 100.