Rough delivery, calf won't stand

Help Support CattleToday:

ljones9841

Reaction score
I probably did everything wrong. Came home from the day job, 1st calf heifer was down in the pasture (daughter had seen her about 3 1/2 hour previous). She was barely aware that I was there. One hoof, a nose and tongue showing. she wasn't pushing. I put the chains on, started pulling and she gave me a little help. Pulled the calf.

Calf wasn't breathing, blinking or stirring. I waited a minute by the clock and then gave artificial respiration--after about 4 breaths, the little bull calf started breathing. Calf won't stand. 12 1/2 hours old now. I didn't have colostrum and he wouldn't take milk replacement. I did manage to get about 1 quart of whole milk down him over several feedings last night.

This morning, Momma cow is nuzzling and mooing at him, but he can't seem to stand, front legs aren't working right. Maybe he's just still weak? Maybe brain damaged (I don't know how long he was in the birth canal)? Maybe injured?

Any help appreciated. What do I do next?

Lyle

Next is a shot of selenium and tube some colostrum into him

I went to Co-op first thing this morning. Bought colostrum. At Birth +14 hours, gave 1.5 liter by tube. I'll check on selenium on my way to the day job. Son in law will check on new calf.

Anything else?

You have to get the selenium from the vet. Why didn;t you milk the cow to get the colostrum?

dun":18dkxro8 said:
You have to get the selenium from the vet. Why didn;t you milk the cow to get the colostrum?
She's too damn wild! You can't get within 10 feet of this cow. As soon as she's no longer needed for this calf, she's gone.

No way to get the cow restrained to help the calf nurse her??? Put her in a head gate and put the calf on a bale of straw and help him nurse?

Red Bull Breeder":xrdchi88 said:
... If she is that bad should have been culled before the calf was born.
I appreciate the sentiment, even if I don't find the answer very helpful to my problem.

Thanks to the other responses. He's beginning to walk on his fetlock--slowly gaining strength. Mom still hovers over him, but he doesn't nurse.

Should have updated sooner. Calf is up and nursing. Born on Wednesday night. Tubed Colostrum on Thursday morning, and again on Thursday night. Tubed milk replacer on Fri. Saturday, tried to get calf to nurse, but he wouldn't. Tubed him with milk replacer and with electrolytes. That evening, went to feed him and he was up and nursing. I went ahead and splinted his leg with cardboard and coban wrap. Took the splint off day before yesterday and he is bearing weight just fine. A happy little bull calf.

Great work! Just keep an eye on his navel that it doesn't suddenly blow up.

Latest posts