Rotating Wormers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I like to use Eprinex wormer (rain proof) on the cattle because our weather changes from one day to the next. I am wondering if the worms develop immunity to certain wormers. I also read that after the first initial worming in the spring, after 45 days on pasture, worm again with a feed wormer or block to really stop the worm cycle. Do any of you rotate the wormers and do you follow up with a feed additive 45 days later in the spring?

Chuckie, Tennessee weather changes, day to next? Come on :eek: We use Eprinex in the Spring and Ivomec pour-on in the fall, just for a rotation, so IF there was an immunity to certain worms, or parasites, they would be effective.I've never been a fan of the blocks, just can't regulate consumption rates, plus the boss cows tend to hog them. SafeGard has some pellet or crumble type wormers that are OK for feed mixing, but most are 1lb. per hundred of body weight.

a friend of mine lost 2 cows and 2calves in about 3 week. called vet to do apost on the second c ow and calve. vet ask when the last time herd was wormed it had been about 90 days. opened up both . they were full of worms. vet ask if he was rotateing wormer .he was not . vet says worms have been building emite(sp) to ivermit(sp). told to start rotate wormers. i started this time rotating my worming program. hope i am not to late been using ivermit for 12 years.

jerry27150":341sfhjr said:
chuckie, type this in( when & why to deworm cattle covered at kollege of knowledge )

:shock: i read that jerry

i still think i might continue to deworm...!

We rotate wormers every year. If any worms survive the worming they will be the most resistant to the worming.

Hey Jerry, just curious, but I did that search you were talking about earlier and no link came up. did I miss something?

el-putzo, could be. if you type it all right, it should come upto country world newspaper with the arcticle. ( when and why to deworm cattle covered at kollege of knowledge ) good arcticle on how worms grow & when they grow. when cattle will have them & when they won't. how they get to cattle, etc

As far as the weather here in Tennessee, I can take my hand sprayer full of Round Up (while the sun is bright) and spray around the trees, etc... and in two hours, it will be coming a hard rain. I can't think of the times I have done this when the weather man said 20% chance of rain and no clouds in the sky. I always find myself figuring out if the Round Up was on long enough.
I typed in the Kollege of Knowledge. I find that article really interesting. I see how it can be true. Seems you never see a fat cow that looks distressed with worms. But I have seen skinny puppies and colts that have swollen bellies from worms. I ran the article off to read it again later on tonight at lunch.
I would not use the feed aditive or blocks as my main source of worming. But was reading where they said to follow up after the first initial worming. I read everything I get my hands on and usually post a question here if I have never tried it. The Kollege of Knowledge gives reasons why we do things we do and but never did find out why we did them. We just do them because that is how Dad did it.

well by gol durn!!!! :shock:

what applies in south texas may not apply in gol durn northern oklahoma or tennessee or any gol durn where else!!! :shock:

i ain'ta gonna just quit worming somebody down yonder say swe don't need to by gol durn!!!

this feller i know lost 42 cows, the college examined them at stillwater, they were riddled with parasites!! and he never wormed.!
by gol durn!!! wormer ain't cheap but gol durn cows ain't cheap neither!!!
bif

Jerry, I took the worming article to work and read it again. I realized that I didn't make that good of grades in speed reading and misread it the first time. I will continue to worm, but will do a bit more reading now that you have drawn my attention to the cycle of the worms.
Bif, those faces look like the cow that had frothy bloat, dag nabbit!

:lol:

well by gol durn just couldn't see not worming in oklahoma just cause they don't need to in south texas!! :lol:

i look after a cow herd near here for this retired feller. he never wants me to work the cows spring or fall. i don't know when the last time they were wormed probably when they were calves. some of them look terrible, some don't. :shock:

Chuckie":msmf9wth said:
Here's to you Bif, you cow wormer taker carer ofer in Oaklahoma. Bud salutes you for all the cows you worm! 8)

I'm a cow worming son a gun by golly gol durn! :cboy:

for those who do rotate, what different wormers do you use?

jt

Latest posts