Rotating Wormers

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords":2pwd0eek said:
jt":2pwd0eek said:
for those who do rotate, what different wormers do you use?

jt

Safeguard pellets, ivermectin, and now Dectomax.

just curious, because i have never used dectomax, but thought it was a generic to invomec... thus not really a difference ??... as far as the pellets go, i have never used them either... i have used valbazen, but it has its drawbacks..

do the safeguard pellets do a very good job?
does the dectomax kill liver flukes?

thanks

jt

jt":1dc5cgt5 said:
greenwillowherefords":1dc5cgt5 said:
jt":1dc5cgt5 said:
for those who do rotate, what different wormers do you use?

jt

Safeguard pellets, ivermectin, and now Dectomax.

just curious, because i have never used dectomax, but thought it was a generic to invomec... thus not really a difference ??... as far as the pellets go, i have never used them either... i have used valbazen, but it has its drawbacks..

do the safeguard pellets do a very good job?
does the dectomax kill liver flukes?

thanks

jt

Doramectin is what Dectomax is. I presumed it was different. I'm not sure how good Safeguard does. I just use it as a rotation. The Dectomax does not mention liver flukes. Does the original Ivomec get them? If not, I may need to find something that does.

The only wormer I know of that will kill liver flukes is ivomec Plus
injectable.
[/b]

ivomec plus and valbazen will kill liver flukes... but the valbazen is not safe for early pregnancies.. about 45 days i think.. seems like it also will kill what is there at the time of application and does not have any lasting killing effect, for lack of better words.. hope that makes some sense :?:

jt

buckaroo_bif":1gxxwiq2 said:
The only wormer I know of that will kill liver flukes is ivomec Plus
injectable.
Agreed. Anyone ever had a problem with liver flukes? None here that I know of. Periodic rotations of (plain) Ivomec, Dectomax, and Cydectin here seems to do fine. Wormers are expensive, but dead cows are more expensive, and skinny cows (calves) are cheap. No brainer.

From what I know about liver flukes it is more of a problem in the gulf states and the pacific northwest. I still like to inject with ivomec plus once a year. Rotating wormer is a good idea though never really done that but will try it this fall.
bif

buckaroo_bif":irxmzcj4 said:
From what I know about liver flukes it is more of a problem in the gulf states and the pacific northwest. I still like to inject with ivomec plus once a year. Rotating wormer is a good idea though never really done that but will try it this fall.
bif

i am told that the best time to treat liver flukes is around july or august..

jt

buckaroo_bif":1emguf1r said:
thanks jt i never knew that! guess i was a little early this year!

hang on to that thought and double check me on this, but i think i am correct... the wormers only kill the adult liverflukes and that occurs around august, give or take a month or so... i just cant remember where i read or heard this, but i think it was at one of the cattlemen meetings i attend... basically the jest of it was that there is little if any value to worming for liverflukes this time of the year... with the greatest value coming later when they are matured..

i worm twice a year and i still use ivomec plus this time of the year too... cant see what it hurts...

i probably need to rotate now, and that is why i asked about what other wormers some were using when they did rotate...

jt

Hey I just left a cattlemans Assoc. meeting. The topic was deworming. He was a rep from ivermec. He said there was no need to rotate wormers. I have always rotated between ivermec and dectomax. He said that was useless. They are borh in the same family. After he explained it it did make sense. He said if someone had something that worked for them to stick with it. If something didn't work for them to switch to a differant family, such as sageguard.
The other topic of interest wasa vaccinating. Someone ask him if he changed the needles between cattle. His reply, "not if its on a healthy herd". If one is visibly sick or some new one he may change needles. Other than that stick em till the needle gets dull.
Also he didn't change syringes either between meds. Unless it was for vaccinations. Then the live viro's would be killed, other than that he didn't change. Kind of an interesting meeting.

I'm not changing the subject to Horses, but it's been recommended for years to use a "rotational" wormer,makes sense for cattle too. Kind of like in the deeper South where Fire Ants have become immune to Amdro, after years of treatment with a same product, some worms and parasites, you might think would develop a resistance. Try to get an Antibiotic from a Doctor, they even say certain infections have become immune, such as Staph... because of over use. Just my dimes worth, I'm only a Doctor in some states. ;-)

Bama,

Of couse he said to stick to one wormer - after all, you said he was a rep from Ivomec, he's pushing his product. It makes perfect sence to rotate wormers now that I have read more info on it, I will start rotating this year too.

Actually he said to stick with one wormer even if it was not ivermec. He said if dectomax worked for you to keep using it. He also said if they didn't need it don't deworm. some other points were.

- Don't worry about it freezing. It will not freeze under normal conditions.
This may not be true way up north.
- Don't worry about the heat. Within reason.
- Don't leave in sunlight for a while. Don't lay it on the dash of your truck for a week. Sunlight breaks it down.
- Your wasting product on anything under 2 months old. AS their stomach is not developed yet. It does help on flies for these younger animals. Won't hurt a day old calf.
- You can deworm upto calving, don't worm on that day though.
- the expiration date don't really mean anything. They don't really know how long it can last. They just had to put something on it.
- use 16 gauge needles for wormer and 18 ga. for vaccines.
- clean guns with vegatable oil or vaselene.
- don't worry about the lumps left after vaccinating with some meds. The lump does not hurt the meat. When they peel the hide the lump stays with the hide. No sign on the meat.

Was looking thru the newly arrived Jeffers Catalog & remember a thread on rotation of worming medication - not sure what the consensus was on the rotation aspect, but thought I'd pass this on from Dr Jeffers (many of you probably have already seen it - sorry to take up your time, but there might be some on the boards that would still find it informative) -
Contrary to what you've been told don't rotate wormers every time. Your worms will become resistant to all wormers. Use one wormer back to back several times. When you believe a resistance is developing, quit that wormer for at least 2 years and use another wormer. Remember worms get resistant to "white wormers" more quickly than any other kind. Dr Jeffers