Pour on wormers?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I normally use Cydectin while doing my spring vaccinations. With my reduced income and lower calf prices I have been looking for anyway to save money. Are the generic ivermectins any good?

I do injectable in the fall sometimes. I thought the few days of fly control in the spring was a benefit of pour on though.

I wouldn't use whatever injectable you use in the fall. Rotate. Injectable Cydecton work well. What about Dectomax?

Pretty much all I use is generic. But I only worm until cattle reaches 3 YO and then they either express natural resistance or get gone.

Like Eb, I almost never dewormed a cow older than 3. I NEVER, ever, used a pour-on, and quit buying generics 15 years ago.
What does it matter if you save $2 per animal, of it doesn't work? Have seen too many trials where the generics - especially the ivermectin products - just did not perform.
Pour-ons...abysmal efficacy at best, and most of that due to ingestion from grooming themselves/herdmates.

Lucky_P said:
Like Eb, I almost never dewormed a cow older than 3. I NEVER, ever, used a pour-on, and quit buying generics 15 years ago.
What does it matter if you save $2 per animal, of it doesn't work? Have seen too many trials where the generics - especially the ivermectin products - just did not perform.
Pour-ons...abysmal efficacy at best, and most of that due to ingestion from grooming themselves/herdmates.
Lucky on mature cows do you just skip worming altogether?

Lucky_P said:
Calves and young cows do fine here with pour on generics. The only class of livestock where I ever see occasional visual response (I think) is on some heifers in first lactation. Anything at 3 or over will get fly treatment but no wormed of any sort. If you use pour-on wormer on the younger animals then you really will not have a population of flies in a day or two worth the fly treatment for the cows. I do it later to deal with deer and horse flies.

Right or wrong I have been using the generic ivermectin pour on for a couple of years now and at points in the past. I have to use a name brand on our calves that go into special sales where it's required assistance in those cases I use Cydectin. I heard our vet say that usually only a small percentage of cows actually need worming, and he recommends a name brand.