warning about pore on wormers

Help Support CattleToday:

The hotshot is like brylcreem, a little dab'll do. I actually got into a physical fight with a guy using one on baby calves, I was helping him, and he was just ignorant. After all the rolling in the cow shize, I left, but I bet he still thinks about it every time he picks one up!

snoopdog said:
The hotshot is like brylcreem, a little dab'll do. I actually got into a physical fight with a guy using one on baby calves, I was helping him, and he was just ignorant. After all the rolling in the cow shize, I left, but I bet he still thinks about it every time he picks one up!

Baby calves? No!!! I hope you zapped him in his most favorite spot :mad:

TCRanch said:
snoopdog said:

I zapped him in a few spots, and he did me as well, but I am pretty sure he was a little more sore than I was the next day.

snoopdog said:
TCRanch said:
snoopdog said:

I zapped him in a few spots, and he did me as well, but I am pretty sure he was a little more sore than I was the next day.
You gave it your A game; well done!

I have set one on fire my self and know a few others that have , but you will need a hot shot if you are going to be in the cow business, I can bump one with it alot easier on me and the cow than climbing the wall and pushing and twisting till you turn blue and the cow still wont move, There is nothing unethical about the hot shot , it is a necessary tool , to be used as such , not a play toy , or for abuse

polledbull said:
I have set one on fire my self and know a few others that have , but you will need a hot shot if you are going to be in the cow business, I can bump one with it alot easier on me and the cow than climbing the wall and pushing and twisting till you turn blue and the cow still wont move, There is nothing unethical about the hot shot , it is a necessary tool , to be used as such , not a play toy , or for abuse
I agree, there is a time and place for them, but overuse is gonna come back and bite you

And this is one reason you have some animals that seem calm until you have to work them, then a switch flips and they're beserk!
I decided to not even tag my bull calf I retained this year.. He's never had any bad experiences.. and if he's like the rest of his family he'll stay cool all his life (well, his life will be shorter if he doesnt' stay cool!)

polledbull said:

I share your philosophy. My vet put me on that philosophy 10 years ago.

I work my small herd alone. I be danged if I am going to get in the alley and twist tails. Having said that, it is very rare that I use a hotshot. I normally get them all worked and never even touch it.

Nesikep said:
Till-Hill said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
LOL - had that happen to a friend that was "torching" the hair off sale cattle. They learned the same lesson. but, I never would have thought about a hot shot igniting it.

Been there too! Helped couple buddies torch some Angus bulls. Guy that was feeding forgot to tell us he poured them week before. Burnt up a good Carhartt coat that day putting one out!

the alcohol would evaporate within the hour of application, the pour-on the previous week had NOTHING to do with that

That is what I was thinking. That pour on should not have ignited a week later. Even with a flame...

Latest posts