Rodeo Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
I was just wondering what it would take to raise rodeo bulls. Like is this something you could do as a hobby, or could you make a living. Also what kind of expenses are involved, acreage, and other aspects? Anything would be helpful, Thanks

I don't know anything about this; but I would guess that it probably pays to have numbers. Lets do the math. Assuming 100 hd of bucking bull mamas (quite a bit of coin), a 90% calf crop, half of your calves are going to be heifers (good for selling to other rodeo stock people but not much else). That leaves you with 45 bulls. If rodeo stock is like regular cattle, 5 of those are going to be poorly structured, too small, slab sided, etc or flat will not work. Obviously the biggest flaw that pops up in rodeo stock is DOCILE cattle. IF half are too good natured to be performers, that leaves you with 20 bulls to market. IF you are like me, you don't know anybody actually in the rodeo business who can buy those bulls so you are going to have to work your butt off to get somebody to buy or lease your bulls for their rodeo and that probably means starting with the lowest realm of rodeos who don't have real good bulls because they don't pay top dollar for good bulls. IF your bulls get noticed MAYBE you can move up; but I would think it would take a matter of years of marketing (much of it 1 on 1), moving your bulls from amateur rodeos, to high school rodeos, to $5 rodeos, to state fair rodeos, to 2nd tier pro rodeos, etc before you were seriously considered as a stock supplier for PBR, the PRCA, or the Calgary Stampede. I don't see how any of this is possible for somebody doing this as a "hobby".

Couldn't have said it better, Brandonm2!

With "upbreeding" to ultimately select the top 1 to 5% of bulls with a "nasty" disposition can take quite a while to produce. And, from what I've heard some of those famous rodeo bulls' semen is selling between $500 and $1000 a straw...then the bull is only 1/2 of the mating picture.

my thoughts are
unless ya have bunches of bucks to spend and expect no return for several yrs give it up!!!!!

I know a guy in the midwest who raises some bucking bulls. He has one or two PBR bulls and a dozen or so prca bulls. but, it has taken almost ten years to get to that point. Your input is huge, both financially and physically. The only way he made his pay for them selves was to run bullriding schools on the weekends. So unless you got time, money, and good insurance it may not be the best investment.

I watched part of the bull sale on RFD TV and I would say you have to have lots of money. The rest is like any other cattle venture. Keeping up with what is popular and stying one step ahead.

Scotty

thanks for everyones input, i was really just curious in what it takes.

I know a guy that raises bucking stock and I would hate to even know what his corall cost. There are cat walks over the whole thing and God forbid you ever fell in.

It takes a lot of money. I was going to get into it, but just don't have the money it takes. You can buy some pretty descent cows for $1500 to $4000 and then just keep your heifers every year to build your herd. I didn't watch the sale on the rfd channel but have done a lot of research and talking with guys in the business(the breeders not the big guys you hear about on the pbr) and I would guess that what you saw on the rfd channel were the outrageously priced animals. The bucking bull business is just like anything else. REAL political and some of the "BIG DOGS" will break one off in you if they get the chance. If you want to find out some more go to a few futurities and sales. Those are alot of fun. I love working with the young bulls. Alot of fire in the chutes.

Try
http://www.thebreedersconnection.com

Josh

I wonder if this thread was prompted by the recent PBR finals yesterday. I thought it was great.
Speaking of stock contractors, did anyone catch that interview with the owners of Little Yellow Jacket? One of them was Bernie Taupin, the lyricist that co-wrote a bunch of Elton John hits.

dbc, You can buy half interest into some proven bulls (preferably cows) of your choice. Find someone with registered bloodlines you like and split the costs. (Easier said than done though.) Also, you can do the same thing with a yearling bull that has been bucked and you think has promise. Buy-in and haul him to futurities when he's two. Obviously theres a lot more work to do w/ a young bull as far as getting him used to the chute,dummy,music, and general hoopla of compettions but it can be done. Get in w/ a breeder that is already established that you trust or feel you can trust.

That link that jcissell put on is a good place to get a better feel for the industry. But be careful, a lot of people are just jumping head first into this deal just for the glory. I think the best thing to do is buy-in interest of a good,proven animal and let the main breeder worry about everyday up-keep at their place till you ready to have your own at yours. Remember though do it for the love, the industry is relatively young and no one is quite sure where its going to go.... hopefully up, Good Luck

Latest posts