Road trip MO to TX

Help Support CattleToday:

buzzy

Reaction score
My 9 yr old son and I will be driving from Macon MO to Mcallaen TX and back leaving next week would like to see the Alamo going down and the gulf coast coming home Any recomendations om what to avoid or what to see

Not sure if you will go through there or not, but when we go to OK, we go through Memphis, we were concerned about some of the areas as Bigfoot stated, we found a pretty good area on the east side to stay in overnight. We did venture out and go to the big Bass Pro store, by the river, it is something to see. Some where in AR, maybe near Conway, AR, I saw a sign that said Toad Suck Park. Have no idea what's there, but my wife was irritated over me waking her up, by excitedly blurting the name out, out of amusement at the unusual name.

Bigfoot":23ni0ywc said:
Avoid west Memphis on your way down.

Edited to add-----Not a joke.
And the rest of Memphis as well...If our Creator were gonna give the world an enema, that's where he would stick the hose.

(You'll probably want to avoid Cleveland Tx and Woodville Tx too. Both are known to be inhabited by shady characters.)

I'd recommend a day bay fishing on the coast. I know two good guides, one in Port Mansfield and another in Port O'Connor. PM me if you want some names.

greybeard":3ho1cx01 said:
Bigfoot":3ho1cx01 said:
Avoid west Memphis on your way down.

Edited to add-----Not a joke.
And the rest of Memphis as well...If our Creator were gonna give the world an enema, that's where he would stick the hose.

(You'll probably want to avoid Cleveland Tx and Woodville Tx too. Both are known to be inhabited by shady characters.)
Meth heads and just plain cantankerous old bas tards. :hide:

buzzy":1jribyzk said:
My 9 yr old son and I will be driving from Macon MO to Mcallaen TX and back leaving next week would like to see the Alamo going down and the gulf coast coming home Any recomendations om what to avoid or what to see
When you get to San Antonio, stop and take a plane. There aint' a dam thing past SA except long roads.

buzzy":e5rtsjn3 said:
Be a heck of a detour to go through WM.

TexasBred":7q8px297 said:
buzzy":7q8px297 said:
When you get to San Antonio, stop and take a plane. There aint' a dam thing past SA except long roads.

Thanks for the compliment TB. :lol2:

He is right. There is noth south of SA unless you want to fish or hunt.

My first question is why all the way to Mcallen? I would dodge McAllen unless you have family or some thing there.

When you leave S.A You can go 35 south right to Corpus. There is a battle ship, aquarium, beach, some other stuff.

If yall like the Alamo type stuff there is another set of missions in Goliad... like as in... "remember the Alamo!... remember Goliad!" I'm not saying the Alamo isn't cool but is smack-dab in the middle of a major city. At Goliad you feel it more. Its more secluded. It's nicer country than running down 35.

I wouldn't go past Corpus unless it was to the KR and back up. It's different down there if you are not use to it and can be sketchy if you get off the beaten path. Plus, there is nothing to see.

Brute 23":35xextvw said:
TexasBred":35xextvw said:
buzzy":35xextvw said:

My first question is why all the way to Mcallen? I would dodge McAllen unless you have family or some thing there.

When you leave S.A You can go 35 south right to Corpus. There is a battle ship, aquarium, beach, some other stuff.

If yall like the Alamo type stuff there is another set of missions in Goliad... like as in... "remember the Alamo!... remember Goliad!" I'm not saying the Alamo isn't cool but is smack-dab in the middle of a major city. At Goliad you feel it more. Its more secluded. It's nicer country than running down 35.

I wouldn't go past Corpus unless it was to the KR and back up. It's different down there if you are not use to it and can be sketchy if you get off the beaten path. Plus, there is nothing to see.
Brute, Goliad area is exempt and true the two missions there are pretty awesome. I was talking more west of there toward I=35. Never seen so much "nothing" in all my life .

TexasBred":3nlbm8q2 said:
Brute 23":3nlbm8q2 said:
TexasBred":3nlbm8q2 said:

Brute, Goliad area is exempt and true the two missions there are pretty awesome. I was talking more west of there toward I=35. Never seen so much "nothing" in all my life .[/quote
Never should have fought the Comanche for that. You have to sit on a sack of fertilizer to raise an umbrella.

When you leave S.A You can go 35 south right to Corpus. There is a battle ship,
The battleship is near Baytown..Corpus has an aircraft carrier.

I never miss out on a chance to go to Goliad and Fannin.

I just came back from SA today was down there for a few days for work. Wife joined me and we went to see the sites. It has a lot of neat buildings but who ever designed the roads should be shot. Lots of good food in that town. North on 35 is a game park lots of exotic deer, zebras, giraffes and birds kinda expensive. There is also a snake farm went there today on the way home I was in heaven. I got to pet a big ole python. They have Black mamba, Gaboon viper, inland Thaipan, lots of rattlers, a few Cobras, and lots of other snakes. They also have a nice collection of birds, big cats, monkeys, gators and other stuff. This place was worth stopping at.

If you need a hotel I highly recommend Drury Inn and Suites for 100 a night can't be beat. Best bed I have ever slept on in a hotel.

Folks bought a house in a retirement community 12-15 years ago and spent every winter there since we are heading down to clean out personal effects they bought it fully furnished and will sell it that way

part if the reason for stopping at the Alamo was the river walk folks mentioned it several times over the years

Both the King ranch and Goliad look interesting as well

Rafter will send message

tater74":214c4zcz said:
A day at schlitterbaun is fun for your son

That is a big 10-4 it is even fun for the geriatric crowd.
Alamo is cool with the historical impact it had on Texas and the USA leading up to battle of San Jacinto.
The San Jacinto battleground and USS Texas is a good stop if you enjoy
history.
The USS Texas is the only dreadnaught left.

Latest posts