Ringworm In calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Catherina_Cunnane.

Reaction score
Hi,
I know a friend thats has calves that have ringworm,
it is becoming a big issue, and its time for a cure
any one now any old time -cures that have proven to work or anything?
All Ideas welcome!
-Catherina-

Sunshine and time, tinactin, bleach and water. I prefer the sunshine and time.

Bigfoot":2djxf3r5 said:
Sunshine and time, tinactin, bleach and water. I prefer the sunshine and time.

but if you feel you need to do something athletes foot spray helps kill the fungus

A strong vetrinary iodine works well, used it in the human species as well for ringworm, but it can be pretty harsh and can take some hide off of humans if left on too long, so beware.
A friend had some ringworm in a few 4-H calves and plastered toothpaste on it, and said it worked well.Don't know what kind of toothpaste she used but I never saw it myself, but she swore by it.
A Vet told me they normally give a vitamin shot I think it is of E and maybe A and B, can't remember which, says it strenthens the immune system so the animal can fight it off.
That and leaving the animal in the sunshine as much as possible.
I know burnt motor oil works on mange if you don't have any ivermectin, but never heard of it being used on ringworm before, but guess it is possible...
Nite Hawk

If it's bad enough to treat you can buy spray anti-fungals. As Nite Hawk mentioned, I have used iodine with success also. I'll apply whatever I'm using and then scrub it with an old toothbrush.

fitz

Thanks for all your help and suggestions! I will have a think over! and pick which suits best!I have also found out that hanging holly also seems to help!!! Thanks again!
-Catherina-

Catherina_Cunnane.":3vcsvz0e said:
Thanks for all your help and suggestions! I will have a think over! and pick which suits best!I have also found out that hanging holly also seems to help!!! Thanks again!
-Catherina-
??

That's anew one to me--but I've learned to never discount anything of this sort.
In that case, I should never see ringworm--I have holly everywhere.

Latest posts