Right to work?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":1s3a3oxp said:
The "overplaying" certainly continued on after 1975. The ATC strike was in '81.

A single sentence from a conversation I remember between my father's friends in the late 60s.
"When the union buys ya buddy, ya stay bought for life".
I don't think that has changed much.

I was referring in the "Minutes" to when said overplaying began. I think they (unions) are pretty well beaten-down now. Agree some continued to put up a fight into the 80's, and there are still pockets of activity today, but it's sure not what it was. We export jobs; import workers (both legally and illegally); and automate everything else.
Not sure why it was so hard to see what the end result would be of the Walmartization/race-to-the-bottom of America...I really have little regard for economists. They don't really seem to have much understanding of the human psyche and behavior.

Caustic Burno":hntdxb4g said:
TexasBred":hntdxb4g said:
Caustic Burno":hntdxb4g said:
No you have the same antebellum attitude that drove many of the workers to rise against those that thought they were socially and morally superior.

Perfect example

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2016/02 ... -disappear

Come on CB. I think all that fence is saying is that he chooses to "Be the man" instead of working for the man or being the house n e g r o and seems he's done well at it. I don't see any indication of "a superior attitude" only an "I can" attitude. He doesn't have to have an attitude of superiority. He goes out and proves it everyday. Personally I look up to fellas like that. To he// with the refinery.

TB this is where we disagree and will never agree

Kiss my azz cb....I making my guys work labor day , and I'm going call it caustic burno day. ;-)

CMF...

Caustic Burno":2hhpbki8 said:
TexasBred":2hhpbki8 said:
Caustic Burno":2hhpbki8 said:
No you have the same antebellum attitude that drove many of the workers to rise against those that thought they were socially and morally superior.

Perfect example

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2016/02 ... -disappear

Come on CB. I think all that fence is saying is that he chooses to "Be the man" instead of working for the man or being the house n e g r o and seems he's done well at it. I don't see any indication of "a superior attitude" only an "I can" attitude. He doesn't have to have an attitude of superiority. He goes out and proves it everyday. Personally I look up to fellas like that. To he// with the refinery.

Very well. You have every right to be wrong. ;-)

callmefence":grlhw0zw said:
Caustic Burno":grlhw0zw said:
TexasBred":grlhw0zw said:

Kiss my azz cb....I making my guys work labor day , and I'm going call it caustic burno day. ;-)

CMF...

I wouldn't haven't expected less
They might grow enough backbone and go find a good job

I'm getting ready to go on a trip to the family homelands in WV and was looking through my genealogy file. I found an interview I'd done with my grandfather a few years before he passed away, at age 91, in 2007. The multiple times both he and his father narrowly escaped coal mine explosions were interesting. He worked from very early childhood on, then started in the mines at 15 and walked 21 miles to work. Saturday nights he picked up an extra shift, putting on rock dust to keep the coal dust from exploding. (Hopefully I got that right in my notebook). He said when the union came in, their pay went from 22.5cents a ton to 40 cents a ton (over time). But to get that, they had to go on strike several times; there was no strike fund so it was very hard times. They were generally paid in scrip they had to spend at the company store.
When I think about how hard that man had to work his whole life, boy....gets to me. He was still working putting roofs on houses in his early 80s.
Not trying to re-start the union debate (please Lord), just wanted to share a memory. Any similar stories of hardworking folks in your family (or, I guess, wastrels and scoundrels lol)?

Boonie once upon a time unions were a very valuable took and sorely needed and they performed over and above what they were designed to do. They have now become little more than political organizations pumping union member money to the politicians that can repay them the highest return on their investment. And the working man just continues to work as he's always done.

Latest posts