Right to work?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":34ryvae2 said:
JSCATTLE":34ryvae2 said:
[
JSC y'all will still hire without a degree?
We quit five years before I retired couldn't find enough with a HS diploma that could learn the chemistry or math.
No sir we have to have the degree to be hired . We did hire a guy a couple months ago without one but he was a maintenance contractor that has been on site for 12 years . He's been in every vessel we have several times .. but I has to go get the degree to be hired. Common sense isn't common anymore .. and that will get you alot farther than what's in a book .
The degree will at least show them you have the ability to learn. The rest will take care of it's self if you have the desire which you apparently had.[/quote]

i'd say a degree nowadays just means you know how to get in debt. :lol2:

Ky cowboy":2r7yoc8c said:
So many spoon feds out there don't have a clue what it took to get where we are at now. I've had it good compared but my parents did like you boonedocks. Educated me to respect where we came from Ang fight like be nice to make it better for my kids.

Some folks no doubt have different ideas about fighting like he'll .

There's one group that thinks it means to bytch and bellyache. Protest and whine.

One thinks you work as hard as it takes to forge your on way. And be strong enough to stand alone and not dependent on anyone.

callmefence":a2qb57bz said:
Ky cowboy":a2qb57bz said:
So many spoon feds out there don't have a clue what it took to get where we are at now. I've had it good compared but my parents did like you boonedocks. Educated me to respect where we came from Ang fight like be nice to make it better for my kids.

There's one group that thinks it means to bytch and bellyache. Protest and whine.

One thinks you work as hard as it takes to forge your on way. And be strong enough to stand alone and not dependent on anyone.

Your right the union did forge the way for the American way of life, the majority of them had just returned from a World War and were determined that a working man had a rights as well

I wonder how my family ever survived without unions protecting them and fighting for their rights for the past 300 years of farming this Country, till the government tried to "help" in the 20's and 30's. It's been down hill since then.

ddd75 said:
TexasBred said:
JSCATTLE said:
[
JSC y'all will still hire without a degree?
We quit five years before I retired couldn't find enough with a HS diploma that could learn the chemistry or math.
No sir we have to have the degree to be hired . We did hire a guy a couple months ago without one but he was a maintenance contractor that has been on site for 12 years . He's been in every vessel we have several times .. but I has to go get the degree to be hired. Common sense isn't common anymore .. and that will get you alot farther than what's in a book .
The degree will at least show them you have the ability to learn. The rest will take care of it's self if you have the desire which you apparently had.

i'd say a degree nowadays just means you know how to get in debt. :lol2:
Very true probably less than 25% of student debt is actually related to registration and fees. The remainder is for private apartments, partying and raising he//. But depending on what you eventually do for a living that degree can be invaluable. On the other hand if it's in art, poetry, astrology etc. it's worth less than a role of Charmin.

Caustic Burno":73pw929s said:
callmefence":73pw929s said:
Ky cowboy":73pw929s said:

Your right the union did forge the way for the American way of life, the majority of them had just returned from a World War and were determined that a working man had a rights as well

You should be a politician.

Plenty of folks forged there own way without a union. The working man has rights, he's free as a bird. Unless he works in a field where he must join a union. Then he doesn't have the RIGHT TO WORK.
Doesn't matter anyway. The unions are bout to get from several different directions.

callmefence":35tyo5ij said:
Caustic Burno":35tyo5ij said:
callmefence":35tyo5ij said:

You should be a politician.

Plenty of folks forged there own way without a union. The working man has rights, he's free as a bird. Unless he works in a field where he must join a union. Then he doesn't have the RIGHT TO WORK.
Doesn't matter anyway. The unions are bout to get from several different directions.

The reason unions came into being was getting screwed over by the forgers.

callmefence":15j1xky5 said:
Sooo , your saying the union did the forging and the forgers screwed the unions..........
Ummm..okeedoky :hat:
No just the forgers that you think so highly of. Men like DeWolfe,Vanderbilt and the Rockerfellers that screwed over the public and worker through graft and corruption. They all started the same way

I reckon I screwed someone Friday...I give em a job and all. Told em it's hard work, out in the weather, only way you ever make a real living at it is buy some equipment and work for yourself. Plan to pay him what I told him , nothing more, nothing less....yeah I got him good. ;-)

callmefence":18wdxm28 said:
I reckon I screwed someone Friday...I give em a job and all. Told em it's hard work, out in the weather, only way you ever make a real living at it is buy some equipment and work for yourself. Plan to pay him what I told him , nothing more, nothing less....yeah I got him good. ;-)
No you have the same antebellum attitude that drove many of the workers to rise against those that thought they were socially and morally superior.

Perfect example

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2016/02 ... -disappear

Caustic Burno":xp6jux3s said:
callmefence":xp6jux3s said:
No you have the same antebellum attitude that drove many of the workers to rise against those that thought they were socially and morally superior.

Perfect example

Come on CB. I think all that fence is saying is that he chooses to "Be the man" instead of working for the man or being the house n e g r o and seems he's done well at it. I don't see any indication of "a superior attitude" only an "I can" attitude. He doesn't have to have an attitude of superiority. He goes out and proves it everyday. Personally I look up to fellas like that. To he// with the refinery.

TexasBred":3sjg3eow said:
Caustic Burno":3sjg3eow said:
callmefence":3sjg3eow said:

Perfect example

Come on CB. I think all that fence is saying is that he chooses to "Be the man" instead of working for the man or being the house n e g r o and seems he's done well at it. I don't see any indication of "a superior attitude" only an "I can" attitude. He doesn't have to have an attitude of superiority. He goes out and proves it everyday. Personally I look up to fellas like that. To he// with the refinery.

TB this is where we disagree and will never agree

greybeard":2c6ze66a said:
At the beginning of all this, 'someone' said:
As with anything greed and corruption took control and they (unions) became their own worst enemy.
This is true it doesn't make them not a nesacary evil against the greed and corruption of the company at all cost of kill a man hire another one kill a horse buy a new one.

Well have we :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: enough?
:D
I've taken minutes of this meeting; if I may be so bold as to summarize:
Many, maybe even most, of us here agree that folks had it very very rough during the early period of industrialization, and that unions allowed for collective bargaining which helped level the playing field back a little bit, leading to such niceties many of us enjoy today, such as safer working conditions; fair (or fair-ish) pay, including OT where applicable; and a day or two off now and then to mess with cows. (The latter applying to those with off-farm jobs).

Many, if not most, of us agree that at some indeterminate point (say, between 1960-1975?) many unions overplayed their hand; this combined with globalization to lead to the whittling-away of support of the rank-and-file for unions. (We likely do not have a consensus as to whether we need to further destroy the unions now; or instead to reform, maintain or strengthen them, perhaps in conjunction with dialing back trade agreements with countries which do not offer safe working conditions; a living wage; and basic environmental standards).

Then there's the outlier or two that think Ayn Rand is the Creator Of All Things Good, and that the captains of industry have been horribly exploited by the wretched masses.
Any corrections to the Minutes?
:hide:

boondocks":2dd55b04 said:
Well have we :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: enough?
:D
I've taken minutes of this meeting; if I may be so bold as to summarize:
Many, maybe even most, of us here agree that folks had it very very rough during the early period of industrialization, and that unions allowed for collective bargaining which helped level the playing field back a little bit, leading to such niceties many of us enjoy today, such as safer working conditions; fair (or fair-ish) pay, including OT where applicable; and a day or two off now and then to mess with cows. (The latter applying to those with off-farm jobs).

Many, if not most, of us agree that at some indeterminate point (say, between 1960-1975?) many unions overplayed their hand; this combined with globalization to lead to the whittling-away of support of the rank-and-file for unions. (We likely do not have a consensus as to whether we need to further destroy the unions now; or instead to reform, maintain or strengthen them, perhaps in conjunction with dialing back trade agreements with countries which do not offer safe working conditions; a living wage; and basic environmental standards).

Then there's the outlier or two that think Ayn Rand is the Creator Of All Things Good, and that the captains of industry have been horribly exploited by the wretched masses.
Any corrections to the Minutes?
:hide:

Motion to approve as read

The "overplaying" certainly continued on after 1975. The ATC strike was in '81.

A single sentence from a conversation I remember between my father's friends in the late 60s.
"When the union buys ya buddy, ya stay bought for life".
I don't think that has changed much.

greybeard":3rbbovut said:
The "overplaying" certainly continued on after 1975. The ATC strike was in '81.

A single sentence from a conversation I remember between my father's friends in the late 60s.
"When the union buys ya buddy, ya stay bought for life".
I don't think that has changed much.

I was a company man many more years than a union combined in meat cutters or OCAW.
I can see both sides from working on both. I have seen wrongs and atrocities committed by both including to surrounding comunities The higher ground here is today's working conditions were bought not given.
You no longer have to work till you die.

Latest posts