Retirement

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent said:
CSM said:
Retirement will be much easier thanks to years like this in the stock market. It will be here sooner than I would like. Hopefully all have done well this year and will in the coming year.
2019 has not been a good year for 4-legged stock.

That depends on your perspective. I am lined up to do really really well on the calves I bought in 2019. I wish I had bought 5 times as many as I did.

Dave said:
jltrent said:
CSM said:
Retirement will be much easier thanks to years like this in the stock market. It will be here sooner than I would like. Hopefully all have done well this year and will in the coming year.
2019 has not been a good year for 4-legged stock.

That depends on your perspective. I am lined up to do really really well on the calves I bought in 2019. I wish I had bought 5 times as many as I did.
With the price at the store compared to market price is a joke. I made money, but sure could not retire on them.

What kind of stocks and investments you think are good? I'm set to retire 2035... when my youngest is 18. 😁🤣 unless I break a leg than that sets me back. Jk

Here you go Shell.

Vanguard Target Retirement 2035 Fund (VTTHX) 80% stocks 20% bonds

With long term investing, the key is to keep your expenses low. Vanguard is the best there is at that IMO.

Retirement has alot more to do with other than stock markets, business in our country, low unemployment and gaining strength in the global economy affects everything thing, we just haven't seen any of this in along time, don't worry we have enough of hands out and complainers in this country to get it right back to were we were 3 years ago.👍

Chevy said:
What kind of stocks and investments you think are good? I'm set to retire 2035... when my youngest is 18. 😁🤣 unless I break a leg than that sets me back. Jk
VWNEX is the fund that I like. It has done very well for me.

https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds/etfs/etf-investing-dont-expect-making-money-easy-2020/?src=A00220&yptr=yahoo
The more money going into the hands of money managers make them take higher risks to generate a return. Caution should be used when determining what to invest in. I remember at one time it was said the you could put a cowboy hat on a chimpanzee and set him in the livestock auction when cattle prices were raising and he could just raise his hand and keep bidding an make money.

Chevy said:

Depends where you break a leg. Line it up right and you may retire earlier.

Caustic Burno said:
Never invest more than your willing to loose. All investments are at risk.

In BC Canada the lottery corporation calls it

"No your limits and play within it"

I bet this young family had dreams of a better life and no worries. You think they are thinking of retirement or just getting by each day.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/in-trump-country-a-season-of-need-on-family-farms/2019/12/26/fcb71262-2377-11ea-86f3-3b5019d451db_story.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

hurleyjd said:
I bet this young family had dreams of a better life and no worries. You think they are thinking of retirement or just getting by each day.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/in-trump-country-a-season-of-need-on-family-farms/2019/12/26/fcb71262-2377-11ea-86f3-3b5019d451db_story.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

You need to move to a country you might like.
Kenya?

Caustic Burno said:
hurleyjd said:

Kenya?

They have a 305 acre dairy farm and no food? Raise a huge garden. Can fruit and vegetables. She complains about the price of cheese? Make your own. It isn't that hard. It is not even thinking outside the box. It is what people have been doing for years.

Its just a trash piece from the Washington Post to bash Trump. Notice how quick they were to blame him. No mention of the the unfair milk subsidies that the Canadian government give to protect their dairy industry and how Trump is trying to change it.
The always factual Google says this when you ask how much do Canadian dairy farmers make.

"Today, dairy farmers make up just six per cent of all Canadian farmers. The average dairy producer's net worth is nearly $5 million, and in 2016, the average producer earned an income of about $160,000, even after operating expenses had been paid, according to the most recent numbers available from Statistics Canada.Oct 4, 2018"

Its embarrassing how bad our newspaper industry has become.

bird dog said:
Its just a trash piece from the Washington Post to bash Trump. Notice how quick they were to blame him. No mention of the the unfair milk subsidies that the Canadian government give to protect their dairy industry and how Trump is trying to change it.
The always factual Google says this when you ask how much do Canadian dairy farmers make.

"Today, dairy farmers make up just six per cent of all Canadian farmers. The average dairy producer's net worth is nearly $5 million, and in 2016, the average producer earned an income of about $160,000, even after operating expenses had been paid, according to the most recent numbers available from Statistics Canada.Oct 4, 2018"

That article is absolutely anti trump propaganda. But who is the dairy subsides not fair to? Would you ever be in support of a price floor being set for dairy? How about beef?

bird dog said:
The presidential race will determine what happens in the second half of 2020. If Trump looks like he is going to lose, you might want to take any profits you have.

I am thinking about going all cash pretty quick. This stock market bubble will bust pretty soon. Cds can be had that pay 2.25%.
What will thirty year treasury bonds rate have to be to get people interested in them. Long term Treasury bonds will have to have a good rate to get people interested in them.
Might even move to Kenya to get away from Caustic. Caustic says it would be a great place for me.

Dave said:
Caustic Burno said:
hurleyjd said:

Kenya?

They have a 305 acre dairy farm and no food? Raise a huge garden. Can fruit and vegetables. She complains about the price of cheese? Make your own. It isn't that hard. It is not even thinking outside the box. It is what people have been doing for years.
I knew when I posted this it would bring out all of the Tumpers. This woman should not fuss Trump gave Them $4500 dollars of the money he paid out to farmers to keep them going because of the trade war. She only spends $175 a month then this $4500 would keep them going for 25 months.

bird dog said:

The return on investment is 3.2%. They would have done better playing the stock market. How many family man hours was done to make that $160,000.

hurleyjd said:
bird dog said:

The return on investment is 3.2%. They would have done better playing the stock market. How many family man hours was done to make that $160,000.

On the job I worked with a lot of dairies. I ended up going to some workshops up in Canada. That net worth is in the value of their milk quota. I think most of that quota is inherited. The average 160 cow dairy had 4 or 5 employees and a line of new equipment. The average American 160 cow dairy has maybe one employee and a couple old well used tractors.
I was on one farm that had a real neat setup for raising calves. This would have been in the 90's. I got to talking to the owner. He said his quota allowed him to ship 12,000 pounds a day. He got something like $24 a hundred for all the milk up to that 12,000 pounds. Anything over that he got $4 a hundred. He made sure that he shipped exactly that entire 12,000 pounds. The extra got fed to the calves. When milk production varied up or down so did the calves diet.

Been few years since I had a Dairy. But the best I can remember there was a marketing order for zones set up to make sure there was enough milk produced for the area. The milk was priced on classes as to how it was used with the fluid milk used for drinking was the highest price a bonus for a high butter fat content. And then you had classes of milk that brought a lower price that was manufactured into cheese and milk powder. Here is the USDA website for the southeast marketing order with prices for each month for the classes of milk.
http://www.dallasma.com/order_prices/class_prices_reports.jsp?cat=3and4

Latest posts