Retirement Spending ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I would think it could all be a write off. The ice castle is a calving observation booth, the Yeti is for vaccine storage, the beer is liquid feed, and guns and ammo are predator control. Gotta keep that pencil sharp!

Might need to bring a trailer and go to some auctions up there. Not a lot of deals down here. Cattle are cheap but equipment still sells good.

I hear you on the new truck. My "newest" one is 19 yrs. old has almost 400k miles on it. Still runs and drives like new. Might break down and get drivers seat redone this year but that's as close to a new truck as I am getting. That said Mommas car is a lot newer and she picks what she wants. Gotta keep em happy!

herofan You have a financial planner who says you aren't spending enough money? [/quote said:
We get constant messages that we should spend less than we make, and some people actually do this. If you make some balanced investments then these savings will compound up at 5 to 8% per year. But you can not take it with you... So at some point you should make a switch to spending more, or giving away more, than you make. It is really sad, but some folks are not able to make this change and rat hole money away until the day they die.

5S Cattle said:
I hope one day I NEED to spend money. That sounds refreshing

I just bought three houses. We'll see how it turns out. A whopping 1/4 acre spread with each house.

5S Cattle said:
I hope one day I NEED to spend money. That sounds refreshing

Doesn't it though. I think I'm on the wrong site sometimes. I should find one called: "A cattle site for the average Joe who piddles with cattle" :D

Stocker Steve said:
It was written to be a little humorous, but this actually all true. The planner could not come up with something we needed or wanted, so eventually he recommended 529s for all the grandchildren.

We don't make any car payments, we don't go on cruises, most of our clothes come from the thrift store, we burn wood, we buy used bulls, we eat alot of venison and beef... About half our household budget is for insurance. The only thing we ever splurge on is periodic farm improvements. :cboy: So we are good as our health holds out.

The last one is the kicker. Enjoy life but dont buy things just to buy things. The 529s are a good idea. You should get a little tax help from that. Equipment tends to hold its value decent. Good fencing, pens, barns etc would by my next thing. Any thing to make the operation a little easier on an aging person would be worth it IMO.

Latest posts