Retirement

Help Support CattleToday:

I had my auto buy deal set to buy S&P at 2000 during the big covid fall. It only got to 2100 or 2200. I'm kicking myself for not just grabbing it. Long term it's where I would have preferred to be.
Charles Schawb did a hypothetical on market timing of 3 investors each investing $2,000 yr for the last 20 yrs in the S&P index fund. 1 always buying the bottom every year, 1 always doing it wrong and investing all 2,000 at the peak every year and 1 dividing it into 12 purchases and investing it at the close of the 1st day each month.

The results.
Peter Perfect bought the low every year and his 40k = 151,391
Mike Monthly's 40k investment = 134,856
Unlucky Larry bought the yearly peak every year for 20 years his 40k = 121,171

Their point was even if you were Unlucky Larry, you still tripled your investment by buying and holding the S&P 500 index.

Last edited:
So what's with the gut punch today? Covid crap is old scare tactic that everyone knows is BS. I mostly think computers were in control today manned by people that didn't have tenure get the day off. Couldn't handle the job. Energy takes a beating on the heels of shortage fears? Yeah right!

Something doesn't smell right today.

So what's with the gut punch today? Covid crap is old scare tactic that everyone knows is BS. I mostly think computers were in control today manned by people that didn't have tenure get the day off. Couldn't handle the job. Energy takes a beating on the heels of shortage fears?

Yeah right! Something doesn't smell right today.
Dear 1982vette, Market gurus will come up with the reasons/excuses why.
I believe the markets are going to do what the markets are going to do because of the animal spirits and men will explain it away with their reasonings.

Animal spirits (bulls and bears) run wild in conjunction with the moon phases.

As I mentioned in the Lunar eclipse thread.
Lunar eclipses are associated with abrupt endings.

End of the bull market?
On Friday, the day of the Lunar eclipse, the markets spiked higher by noon and then ended abruptly and turned tail and dropped sharply to close down for the day.
Maybe the market starts to recover with the New Moon on December 4th and the bulls start fighting their way back December 6
but I expect December markets to be chaotic with bear spirits in control and not stabilize until January 2 the first new moon of the year.
If so, we could see the market set a bottom in conjunction with the December 18th full moon.

Last edited:
I think the market is super volatile right now. It tanked, then ran crazy high, then tried to come back down. It's like it's in oscillations. People are still making money throwing it at stuff but they aren't leaving it in. They are making a little money and jumping out again because they don't trust it.

Let's go Putin. :) lol

The London traded Russia Dow Jones GDR Index comprised of 23 Russian stocks closed down 81% for the day today, wiping out 572 billion in value.
It was already down 17% ytd before crashing today.

Last edited:

Latest posts